Get to know the Warchalk

Bill

I came across this on a Californian website: an idea we could usefully copy!

Wi-Fi enthusiasts mark areas where there's a free hotspot in chalk.

Most markings contain four components: a password at the top, a Web site on the left, the protocol on the right, and the connection speed on the bottom.

Guest caraprof

Mmm, brilliant idea in sunny California. I wonder how long the chalk would last in the UK and most parts of northern Europe before the rain washed it away?

Unless of course we can mark under cover somehow!

caraprof - 2007-07-30 3:54 PM

I wonder how long the chalk would last in the UK and most parts of northern Europe before the rain washed it away?

We could always use white paint instead :-)

I imagine the 'old bill' will have a field day! Chalking the road/pavement is now considered to be 'damage'. Three or four young children were chastised a few weeks back for leaving a 'hopscotch' grid on the footway. Do not risk a fine by chalking and, I imagine, a custodial sentence if you use paint!!!

Regards, Mike & Cherry.

Showing my age I know but this thread brought to mind an article in "Eagle" comic from my childhood. Each edition had a page dealing with "useful" facts. The issue in question ran a table of secret "Tramps Signs" showing the meaning of a code consisting of a series of chalk marks to be placed on stone gate posts or pavements outside houses to indicate "kind and generous", "vicious dog", "don't call here" etc.

What goes around comes around and just gets updated I guess.

Bob

Archived