Carpet problem !

bob b

Sounds like the sort of thing that old foam backed carpets do as they get a bit old.

You could try either rubbing it all off and then putting some of that non-slip rug stuff under it, similar to that which you put in cupboards to stop plates etc moving about but much larger 'weave', it would the still keep in place in the cab.

You could also try putting some poppers/press studs on it and fastening the base of the poppers to the cab floor to secure it.

You could also try getting some spray adhesive that might 'set' and hold it all together, but I really doubt if this would actually work, once the backing starts disintegrating I don't think anthing will rescue it I'm afraid.

bob b - 2007-07-30 10:28 PM

My cab fitted carpet is shedding the backing in a form of white dust.

Does anyone out there know of something that I could perhaps spray on the back to hold it together ?

Hi

Get some 3m spray mount and a sheet of hessian the correct size. wash the original carpet with a pressure washer and let dry. cut the hessian to the size and shape of the carpet and coat the back of the carpet and the hessian with spray mount. leave 30 seconds or so and stick the hessian to the back of the carpet.leave to dry.

use a leather needle and some clear plastic thread and "catch stich" along the edge.all the way round.This may take some time,but providing your original carpet is in good condition, apart from the foam backing.it should work

Martin

i own a carpet shop and would never have been able to buy a motorhome if my customers were doing repair jobs to there carpets like you lot. as clive says buy some new ones. oh and ban carpet cleaners as well.

dean

K&D - 2007-07-31 8:55 PM

i own a carpet shop and would never have been able to buy a motorhome if my customers were doing repair jobs to there carpets like you lot. as clive says buy some new ones. oh and ban carpet cleaners as well.

dean

Do you supply motor home carpets (?)

martin r c - 2007-07-31 9:16 PM

Mel B - 2007-07-31 9:10 PM

It's alright, wait until Martin tries to sew the hessian on the back by hand .. he won't have any fingers left from sticking the needle in and trying to force it through the material!!! (lol)

They arn't that thick

The carpets or the forum members?????? (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Can we get this THREAD back on track and stop hiding it under the RUG, for the reCORD it's about carpets, lets see if we can WEAVE a little magic and sort Martin's little problem without FOAMing at the mouth :-S (lol)

K&D - 2007-07-31 8:55 PM

dean

There is a war on you know....

First thing we did before we took delivery of the M/H we collected all the carpets in a roll and bought an end of roll special and using the new carpets as a template I cut new ones and have sufficient left to do 3/4 sets but it gives peace of mind when you have visitors and you can sell the van with new originals.

Archived