which Panel Van and retrofit Cab Aircon

johnsaunders18

hi, I am just embarking on the design of a new motorhome, based on probably a Mercedes Sprinter panel van. My question is: - I would like Cab Air con, but unless i buy a brand new van - too expensive, i have never seen a used one with Air Con.

Can it be retro fitted, Im sure i have seen companies advertising it, can anyone enlighten me?

The other van i quite like the look of is the Renault Master.

has anyone got any views on my choice of van?

thanks

John

Hi John, yes cab aircon can be retro fitted but its not cheap. I don't know of any companies that do it off the top of my head but presumably googling it will bring something up. Its an 'orrible job as most of the dash has to come out so expect to pay big bucks. Ther must be second hand 'vans with cab air con, I can't honestly believe that those with it won't part with 'em. I'm sure there will be plenty of others willing to give you their views on the relative merits of the Sprinter versus Master and vice versa. I've driven both and have to say I prefer the Master although they both have pretty good build quality. No doubt Clive will pop in to try and sway you towards the Sprinter and rear wheel drive, but Mel E will probably give you lots of valuable feedback on the Master as he has had one converted to his own design.

I suppose a lot depends on what vintage of van you're looking at though

D. ;-)

Hi John, we had cab aircon retro fitted by MAC www.macair.uk.com. about three years agoto a Puegeot base vehicle.They advertise in MMM. It was arranged by our dealer and was apparently a special price which I think was about £1200. Probably be around £1500 now I guess. They are based in Stonehouse,Glos. but advertise a mobile service. Good luck!

I had my cab air retro fitted to my Sprinter by Automotive Electrical of Mirfield West Yorks see under Teleco ad in MMM, mine is like the factory fitted and all sits in engine bay, simple switch on or off, vary effect with vent fan. Quite acceptable a real boon heading south into hot sunshine. Was about £1000 but 5 or 6 years ago. Topped the gas up for the first time last year.

keeping cool, alan

Archived