Peugeot Engine Weights

RonB

I am currently downsizing and therefore having to take account of the reduced payload that this will mean.

One of the new vehicle options available is the choice of the Peugeot 120 or 160bhp engines and whilst I would much prefer a big lump to a smaller one I was concerned about the weight issue. However, on contacting Peugeot I was informed that there is a weight difference of 15kg in favour of the 160 engine. Unable to believe my luck I went back to Peugeot and asked them to confirm their quoted figures and this they did.

Call me a sceptic if you like but I'm still not convinced about this and wonder if anyone has the knowledge to back up Peugeots figures, or otherwise.

One for Dave perhaps?

Hi Ron, as luck would have it I have a 160 Power Ducato in the workshop and have just looked under the lid. The engine appears to be a chain driven double overhead camshaft design and if I'm not mistaken appears to have an alloy cylinder block so 15KGs lighter is quite possible as I believe the smaller engines are a development of the older iron block motors.

D.

Thank you both for your replies.

I had a look at the spec sheets that Colin indicated and sure enough all the 160 chassis came in 50kg heavier than the 120 versions, and all the extra weight was at the front. I obviously need to talk to Peugeot's main technical department again. Either they or their own spec sheets are wrong.

Dave, I was interested in your remark suggesting that the smaller Peugeot engines were a development of the old ones. Does the same apply to the Fiat 130 engine or is this one on par with their 160?

Hi Ron

The Fiat 160 units are all built on what is called a heavy chassis, this is an upgrade available on the lower power units. I have no idea what this includes but assume it is an uprated front end suspension, sub-frame etc. The engine may well weight less but the upgrade of the front end chassis and other assembles adds about 70Kg to the weight of the vehicle ( from Neismann and Bischoff brouchure)

Just a thought. It would not surprise me at all if the larger engine was lighter, standst to reason that if you machine away more material to make the bores larger then there would be less weight, assuming the stroke is the same, even if they were made from the same materials and not one made of alloy and the other cast, clearly not as great a difference.

It also would not surprise me if the larger engined van had larger brakes, suspension, springs and running gear (maybe larger wheel/ tyre combination) possibly larger fuel tank and other working componants that could account for the heavier overall weight. So it does not seem so unlikely to me, but hey ho.

Bas

Roamer - 2007-08-01 10:22 PM

Hi Ron

The Fiat 160 units are all built on what is called a heavy chassis, this is an upgrade available on the lower power units. I have no idea what this includes but assume it is an uprated front end suspension, sub-frame etc. The engine may well weight less but the upgrade of the front end chassis and other assembles adds about 70Kg to the weight of the vehicle ( from Neismann and Bischoff brouchure)

Wrong, the 160 engine is availible on both the 'light' and 'heavy' chassis as is the 120 engine

Whoops, sorry if that sounds a bit rude but I got called away so cut short my reply, anyway back to subject, for panel vans heavy chassis adds 40kg, I guess it will be similair for chassis/cab, some manufacturers may only do 160 engine on heavy chassis so you will add 90kg.

Archived