Scotland in September

Poppy

Clive - 2007-08-01 9:55 PM

Scotland - Beautiful!

Tried twice, it rained like hell and we got bitten to buggery.

Sorry, France and the Med wins!

You should have stayed over in the East they dont seem to get them there! its round the Lochs and over on the West, but the borders or alright Ive never been bitten there and they love me. Spring and Autumn are supposed to be midgy free. *-)

Went for two weeks in June, we travelled up to Edinburgh then across to the west coast, midges were not a problem and we had a great time. Scotland is a truly beautiful country some of the scenery is breath taking. That’s why we plan to go again next year.

I'm a very frequent visitor to Scotland, especially in September/October, and I've never had a midge problem.

It's normally only a problem from June through August and then dies down. Unless you spenjd a lot of time parked next to bogs, of course!

Mel E

====

We went to Edinborough to see a mate, Balmoral, up the east coast, John-o whatsit, Dunnet Head, along the top past the Doonrae, down the west coast, Glencoe, Fort William, Lock Ness, Newton Stewart, Port William etc

(probably in a different order)

We had a Coach Bedford Duple Vista home converted to a camper.

Hi Poppy, the short answer is there isn't one, September is a good month to be in Scotland, camping and midges should not be a problem, especialy if you intend to go to the Borders region (not Dumfries & galloway as its sometimes mistakingly refered to as the Borders because it has the M74 / Carlisle route passing through).

The Borders area in general is a wonderfull peacefull and beautifull place much overlooked by most travelers when heading north.

The Berwickshire side is generaly flat and sunny while the Selkirkshire end has hills and valleys and most of the larger towns. If history is you bag then take some time to tour the whole area as its teaming with towers, castles, and ruins of all ages.

The next time anyone reading this is planning a trip to Scotland don't just head as far north as you can, spend some time in the Borders you wont regret it. :-D

Mel E - 2007-08-02 12:35 PM

I'm a very frequent visitor to Scotland, especially in September/October, and I've never had a midge problem.

It's normally only a problem from June through August and then dies down. Unless you spenjd a lot of time parked next to bogs, of course!

Mel E

====

Mel E, can you clarify please so that I don't get it wrong when I next visit, when you say bogs, do you mean peat or toilets? :D

Oh, forgot to say don't forget to go up and over the hills to Applecross on the west coast - absolutely beautiful views of the islands from the top.

732627293_BeautifulView.JPG.72d7f7315bcb7859e911521a8368acd6.JPG

HI POPPY if there is one thing you do in life never let midges or weather stop you visiting Scotland p/s Avon do a cream called skin so soft is a good repelant Mel gibson used it on Braveheart and if its good for him its good for us

Mel Gibson was running around most of the time in a kilt ... so the Avon stuff must be good! :$

I've used all sorts of creams, potions, lotions and sprays, I must admit that ones with citronella seem to work quite well. As for when midges actually do bite, tea-tree oil works well and a special cream you get from a chemist called Eurax, the trick though is to get in on to the midge bite as soon as you've been nibbled. The longer you leave it, the worse it gets.

Make sure you take some anti-histamines, Tesco do their own brand which are cheaper than any others I've found, you take them 4 times a day, rather than once a day with other more well known brands, obviously you have to remember to keep taking them but it also means that you're not dosing yourself up so much all at once (the single daily dose ones can make you a bit sleepy and dry mouthed). If you've reacted in the past to insect bites and stings, again, as soon as you're bitten take a tablet.

Archived