Beginners advice?

snowie

This is what you might call "a probing letter"

We are looking at producing a plan for our "retirement" whether it will be retirement, or just a more planned existance over the last third of our lives is open to discussion at this stage.

One component might well be the purchase of and use of a motorhome, for uk and european use over several months of the year.

I have looked on websites, manufacturers and dealers, and have been disappointed by the quality of information, or at any rate, the accessibility of vital, fundamental information. There are lots of glossy images, neat interior and exterior coachbuilding details and fabrics galore.

What there is precious little of is detailed layouts and dimensions.

We are a couple, our children are at university, and we don't envisage travelling with resident guests. We don't need more than space for 2 to sleep. We don't particularly want to climb over each other to get to the loo in the middle of the night. We are sociable, so space for 4 adults to eat and entertain would be necessary. We enjoy cooking, but don't need an over specified "galley"

We are of average shape and size, but do not enjoy squeezing in to minute shower cubicles; over several months, a generous sized "bathroom" would be a real asset. A permanent bedroom sounds good on first consideration, but on further reflection looks wasteful in space utilisation.

I wonder if manufacturers have survey data that might identify different types of motorhome users? Do some manufacturers cater best for users like us? Where can I find the sort of motorhome I think I need? Maybe some of your readers can identify with our profile, if so, how did you find your ideal motorhome, do you have any recommendations?

thanks,

Hi Alan,

We are in a similar situation to you, with 2 grown up sons and 2 small grandchildren. Last year we purchased an Autotrail Cheyenne 635, which met all our needs perfectly (at the time) - we opted for the over cab bed version (hi-line) in case the 2 little ones ever accompanied us as they got older. The main attraction for us was the large rear bathroom/dressing room across the back and we dismissed out of hand all models with a fixed bed - as being a waste of space. Having sailed for many years we were used to showering on board, in a "small cupboard" and wrapped in the inevitable wet plastic curtain, so thought this the height of luxury.

Unforeseen problems meant we only had the 'van for a couple of weeks and that gave us the chance to review our requirements. We had used it to visit France & Switzerland during a 2 week break and in that time the bathroom was used only as a store room, as the on site facilities were all A1.

When we ordered our replacement we were able to go through our list of "likes & dislikes" during our brief ownership and top of the list of dislikes was, unbelievably, making the bed up every night and putting it all away again in the morning. The over cab bed had been very handy for storing the bedding during the day but the ladder to reach it was not nice on my feet!

Our new 'van which we are finally picking up on 1st September is an Autotrail (we recommend them very highly) Dakota - more payload, small bathroom (same size shower though), 2 forward facing belted seats in the lounge area (LD layout) and A FIXED BED! The thought of being able to snooze in comfort during a stop if on a long drive and having the bed ready at night is now our idea of luxury. We intend keeping this model for a long time and have planned many trips already - including Greece & Cyprus when my husband eventually retires (less than 10 years for him...)

The Autotrail brochure (available online) shows the various layouts for all their models but I would strongly recommend visiting as many shows as possible before making your choice - the NEC one in October is excellent.

Good luck with your choice and when you decide - happy motoring.

Jenny B-)

Hi snowie and welcome to the forum.

You will soon find, as catinou and many others did too, that choosing the right motorhome for you is probably the most difficult thing to do.

We have had several and only this last time did we manage to get it right. But we did have the experiences of the others to go on and that helped greatly to narrow the choice down. One thing we did this time was to start with a list of the things we wanted to see in a motorhome. This was in three parts:

Must haves

Should haves

Could haves

Once that was done it led us on to knowing what type/size/layout we were looking for and then we were able to send for the brochures - not an option if you are looking to buy second hand so trips round the shows and major dealers (who have lots of different stock to see) would be necessary.

If buying new then most brochures have the detailed layout and technical stuff (also very important - weight, payload, water capacity etc etc) you are looking for and from that we shortlisted the three we liked most by giving marks to each item on our list that the van met.

Finally, we went to see the three vans and tried everything we could. Bed making (if necessary), size and comfort of beds/seats, the shower cubicle, washing and many other daily functions. Only then were we able to see that the one we had shortlisted first was not quite right and we went for a slightly longer version of the same model.

The one most important thing here is experience and, unfortunately, when it is your first van then it is something you do not have. The best advice in such circumstances is to hire a van of the type you think you would like and go on holiday for a week to try it. Not only will this confirm whether motorhoming is for you but also whether your initial thoughts on how you would use it and what things are most important in your final choice.

Admittedly it is not cheap way of going about it (at around £400 - £500 per week) but, bearing in mind you get a holiday thrown in, it is worth it to save the thousands you would lose if buying the wrong motorhome to start with.

Final piece of adviced - MMM carries an excellent monthly summary of the models on offer with details on some of the technical issues and prices.

Good luck with the search.

Best regards, David

Alan

Your actul question is virtually unaswerable - by anyone other than you!  The issues you raise are all valid, but have no fixed answers: what some folk like others hate, what some find tolerable others can't abide.  The judgements are all so highly personal, and so prone to change (as you can see above), based on individual preferences and experience.

I'd suggest just two things to start.

First, get the book Go Motorhoming Europe from www.vicariousbooks.co.uk.  It is availiable on line, and is an absolutely excellent general guide to motorhoming, covering many aspects of the passtime.  It is a real "don't leave home without one" type book and will probably save you hours of cogitating and quite a bit of cash as well.

Second, get to a really big show, preferably the one at the NEC, where many vans are all exhibited together.  Allow yourselves ample time, and try to spend two days there.  Get into the vans, sit in them, and allow your minds to transport you to open spaces.  How does it feel, does it seem to tick your boxes?  Collect the brochures for the models you like, make sure you get the technical supplements where all the weights, measures and capacities are stated and, when you are totally bewildered and confused, leave and then spend the evening/the next day going through the brochures with Go Motorhoming handy.  After you've picked that lot over, go back to the show and have a really thorough look at your shortlisted vans.  Don't sign up to anything, and don't put down any depsoits however good the apparent offer.

In the meantime, subscribe to, or buy, and read, as many motorhome magazines as you can stomach.   MMM is excellent, because of its reader's letters, its technical advisors, and its technical Q&A section, apart from motorhome reviews.  Buying a motorhome is expensive: they are complex vehicles, and there is much to absorb to understand the inevitable compromises manufacturers' make in mounting a mobile home on a small van chassis! 

The reason there are so many variations on the motorhome theme is because there are so many different people buying them; to do different things, at different times of the year, in different places.  One size just won't fit all! 

Final thought: big motorhomes always look as though they'll meet all your needs.  However, if you want to get off the beaten track, and especially into small towns and villages in remote areas, you may find the bulk of your motorhome physically restricts where you can take it, or where you feel comfortable trying to take it.  Because it is made, it does not follow that it is practical.  These things are primarily made to sell, and there are no consultants who will guide you to an informed choice, especially, I'm sad to say, motorhome salesmen, the majority of whom do not own, or even use, motorhomes. 

You'll get loads of help on here, and loads of conflicting opinions about almost every aspect of motorhome design; different engines, different chassis, washroom layouts, bed arrangements, need for ovens, need for showers etc etc. 

Hope this helps to start you off, and the best of luck with your search.  You're now in for an amazing switchback ride!

Thanks to Jenny, David and Brian; I realise that it's a very personal set of boxes that need to be ticked; and it's quite possible that we won't get it right first time, not 100% at any rate!

I'm surprised how many manufacturers seem to supply 34 varieties of something very similar, but I guess the devil is in the detail, and small variations in layout, centimetres here or there can make big differences to ease of use.

We'll get to NEC later in the year, and check out our local dealers,

thanks again.

Or go to the biggest European Show in Dusseldorf later this month, 2 weeks after the Warners show at Malvern.

We shall be there.

On details you need to ensure that you both have a place in the MH that is "yours". All the rest you share but a special place each is necessary for sanity if full timing.

We have an Autotrail Scout on a Merc and would recommend it. But its 10 years old now and we have a revised spec which includes more sociable space and a garage with sufficient payload to take two small motorcycles (or a Smart car perhaps?)

But its your criteria and pocket which apply.

I would also add always keep a mainland home as well, even if its only a flat somewhere.

Good luck with the quest.

Clive

I have heard it said that you have to buy three vans before you get it right. (Voice in the background: “What? Only three??”.)

I have a very strong conviction that motorhomes are over-complicated, and (therefore) over-priced, and I long ago made up my mind that the only way I will get what I want is to have it custom built. A good selection of custom-builders advertise in MMM.

There seems to be a tendency for people to go for smaller motorhomes as they become more experienced – though there are plenty of exceptions. As Brian says “if you want to get off the beaten track, and especially into small towns and villages in remote areas, you may find the bulk of your motorhome physically restricts where you can take it, or where you feel comfortable trying to take it”.

Another factor is the sheer time and hassle of getting everything battened down and ready to move, even if all you want to do is go a mile down the road to a supermarket.

I’ve owned a coachbuilt, and now a “giant” panel van – which is as big as a medium coachbuilt but long and thin rather than short and fat. Definitely better than a coachbuilt, but still not quite right.

Number Three may be a much smaller van, towing a caravan. The idea would be to leave the caravan on site as a base camp while going off exploring for a day or two at a time in the van.

We are brand new motor homersand only decided to buy one just after Christmas. We have had caravans in the past though. The best thing we did was buy the book Go Motorhoming. Its available from amazon and proably other places. We started off thinking one thing and changing our minds completely. We feel we did exactly the right thing! It doesn't tell you what to buy (thats yourchoice) but it does give PLENTY to think about and loads of good links to other things like foreign travel as well.

The only downside I can see to Bill's small van and caravan idea is paying 2 sets of pitch fees if you go off exploring unless you can always wildcamp.

If you do go to shows try spending the first time looking at anything or look online or magazines first for ideas then on the second occasion only go in your short listed vans preferably with a camera so you can remember and refer to each van.

If you look in too many you will go mad as you will never remember which bits you like in which van aaggghh.

A lot depends on the type of touring you envisage doing and the type of person you are and if you require lots of "stuff" or like us keep everything to a minimum.

Good luck and enjoy your research

Jana - 2007-08-03 10:30 PM

paying 2 sets of pitch fees if you go off exploring

True enough, but in Europe the fees are typically made up something like:

€5 pitch fee

€4 per adult

€3 hookup

If you are off on a side trip you only really need the pitch - and €5 is manageable.

Of course the site owners probably won't like this in peak season, but the rest of the year they'd rather rent a pitch for €5 than have it standing empty.

Snowie

The quickest way to see an indication of the various layouts would be to get hold of a Copy of Which MotorCaravan magazine. (see this site bottom of links on the left)

It gives a layout style at the back. and then shows it's No. against the Vans listed in the Buyers Guide. It also gives dimensions , so you can check if the Van will fit your home parking space.

This would reduce your list to potential vans, but it's still worth having a quick look at the layout styles discounted to make sure they are not what you want.

Most dealers advertise in the magazine, so you should find some close to you.

Just be aware when using the Which Motorcaravan layouts plans that for some of the vans matched against them they are not alway exactly like the picture. They are the layout that is most similar to the van, not necessarily exactly like it. So there can be some differences which may or may not make the van suitable to you. They are an aid to you to be able to rule out a lot of vans (or rule in!) but you really need to see the van layouts in the flesh, or a detailed plan in a brochure or on a website to be sure.

Archived