Fan Assisted Roof Vent

Vernon B

I wonder if its generally known that its possible to retro fit a 12v fan to many of the simple, hole in the roof, vents.

I've being looking to boost the ventilation in my van and had assummed it would involve purchasing a brand new unit and, in order to avoid any risk of water ingress, employ a first rate company to do the installation.

As it happens my existing vent (circa 2003) was manufactured by Omnistor who offer a fan kit which I was able to fit myself in less than 1 hour. (I have to confess that a 12v supply was near at hand). The kit cost £77.94 compared with £120.89 for the complete vent/fan unit but to that saving of £42.95 you can add a further £60-£100 + VAT in labour.

And the unit certainly makes a big difference.

Vernon

Mrs Sea - 2007-08-03 10:05 PM

Vernon B

What size of vent are you talking about? We could do with a fan unit for our toilet roof vent but its very small (circular non opening).

Hi Mrs Sea

Sorry, the type of vent I'm talking about is a square one measuring 40cm x 40cm. More details are available on www.omnistor.co.uk. I'm pretty sure you can get a round fan vent but that would involve a complete change of unit.

V

Mrs Sea - 2007-08-03 10:05 PM

Vernon B

What size of vent are you talking about? We could do with a fan unit for our toilet roof vent but its very small (circular non opening).

Why not try a ships chandlers? I would think they'd have something suitable.

Hi Vernon B, if it is the little mushroom shaped vent, have you thought of using a fan unit from the blown hot air system. Plenty around, I fitted one in a loo roof vent years ago, as far as I can remember it was easy to fit and just about effective enough.

Archived