Electric hot plates

Roy

We are looking for an electric double hob for use on 10amp electric on Spanish camp site.  Does anybody know where we can find something suitable please?   I seem to remember Mel B mentioned something similar in the past?

Roy.

We bought our 450watt plate in Italy this year, 10 euros and it's low enough wattage not to trip the supply. If we need to boil something we do this on the gas then transfer to the hot plate to simmer. It also works well with our small pressure cooker. It's fine for us.

We've always managed to pick them up at car boot sales, really cheap, when we've needed one, never yet had to buy one brand new!

The first one we got was a really old 1940s(?) electric hotplate (£3), 1500w, which works brilliantly but isn't the safest thing in the world as the plate itself is raised up about 3 inches with a square enameled base underneath (we did get it PAT tested before we used it!). After about a year we got a safer version which was square with the hotplate set into the centre, 1500w, but weren't too impressed as it took ages to heat up so sold it. We then saw a low powered hotplate in a round black casing, came from the USA (car boot at a US airbase town) and as it's only 1000w it's good to keep with us when going abroad in case we have low capacity hook up (cost £2).

We then did see a virtually new twin hotplate (in box) which we liked as it was rounded at the sides so made it easy to stow, (£3, 1500w & 1000w) but again, not very impressed as it took ages to heat up, so sold it and went back to the original 1940s one. Then in France we were mooching about their version of a car boot sale (no cars!) and saw a very nice russell hobs one, got it for 8 euros, still boxed (1500w), it's great, it heats up as quickly as the old one so we now keep this one with us but won't part with the really old one as wouldn't be happy selling it due to it's safety issues and it'll be a fall back if ever the russell hobs one dies.

My view, after using these various hotplates, is that you do get what you pay for. Only the Russell Hobs one heats up quickly and when you're waiting for your tea to cook, or have a limited amount of time on electric (like on an air where you pay for the electric) that's important!

fred, stop drinking the cider ...

If you read my post you'll see that we actually sold some of the hotplates we didn't want anymore (for MORE than we paid I might add!) and as we bought them very cheaply in the first place, at least we were able to get what we wanted without laying out lots of money buying new, in total, the cost of all the hotplates wasn't as much as a single new one! :-S

Roy - 2007-08-06 9:16 AM

Many thanks for your suggestions. The only thing that worries me is that a double plate (1500w and 100w) used together would be too much for a 10amp supply. Am I right?

Roy.

Apart from your little typo (1500w and 100w) where I assume you meant 1000w yes Roy you are correct. Simple answer is if you're on a 10 Amp hookup don't switch both hot plates on, just use the 1500Watt one.D.

Thanks Dave,  Yes it should have been 1000w.  I am now wondering if there is such a thing as a two plate one with lower wattages which would be suitable for 10amp supply, otherwise maybe just a single 1500w plate would have to suffice.

Roy

Not that we have seen, but some with higher wattages 1200 & 1500.

Remember that on a 5 amp site, 1000 watts (4 amps) could still be "iffy", as you may be drawing current for the fridge, battery charger and other misc equipment. ( Wife watching TV whilst you do the cooking )

Rgds

Archived