Towball electrics

Philip

Hi all

I have got a towball fitted on my 1993 Kon-tiki.

I now want to fit the electrics, I have been told that there is a junction box underneath somewhere.

I have crawled all underneath and cannot find one, if one exists can someone tell me where to look please.

If you can't find a junction box, then there may well not be one to find.

I've no practical experience in this field, but I believe traditional practice in 1993 would be to obtain a universal kit for adding 'towball electrics' to a vehicle and then to graft that directly into the vehicle's original wiring-system on a cable-by-cable basis.

Hi phillip

Sorry, don't know much about the kontiki electrics but have not come across a junction box for towbar electrics in previous motorhomes we have had.

The only suggestion I could make is perhaps it is in the engine bay rather than underneath?

Good luck, David

Make up a separate fuse box connected to battery using as many core cable as you want relays. I use a separate relay for each function.e.g. flashers r&l brakes rev lights fridge or anything else you fancy.Mount the relays on a board and find a suitable mounting place with sufficient cable to allow movement for servicing.Connect the battery lives to 30 on relays after the fuse of course.Locate each wire at the rear of the vehicle and cut and solder and insulate after the sensor wires are connected and using 5-6-7-core wire is easiest and route these to relays and connect them to 85.These can be thinner cable.Take a thick cable and connect to battery earth and route this to rear.Connect 5-6-7-core heavy duty cable and connect to the towing socket in relative order from 87.Then connect the 86 terminal to earth.Make sure that each relay is connected correctly from its appropriate fuse and mark for future ref.Test out thoroughly and happy motoring.

g4oip - 2007-08-06 11:49 AM

Make up a separate fuse box connected to battery using as many core cable as

""" SNIP """

connected correctly from its appropriate fuse and mark for future ref.Test out thoroughly and happy motoring.

I think there is a Hella unit that does that for you, it takes all the imputs as signal loads and uses a feed from the battery to provide boost for the outputs. This way the original wiring is not used for the full current load.

I had one fitted to a Discovery when there was not enough power to feed lights / flashers on a tandem wheeled caravan. ( I suppose about extra 30 feet of cable from the plug to the lights.)

Rgds

Hi,

Not connected with your query ...YET....but when your trailer lights start to do silly things, like the brakes activate the trafficators (perm any three from six) its the EARTH. Every trailer throws an EARTH wobbly at some time in its existance.

Hi,

I've often wondered if the trailer wiring should be run from the front of the tow car. The idea is that running a full set of side and tail lamps thru the basic loom might be more than original wires want to carry....naw...they would have thought of that.

OK, how about the benefits of having all the connections accessible from under the bonnet. Would cost a few more metres of 7-core cable, though.

This link may be handy for anyone contemplating installing towing electrics:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/The-Different-types-of-wiring-avilable-for-a-towbar_W0QQugidZ10000000001131137

The 'guide' refers to the "Smart 7" relay-system for modern vehicles with Can-Bus wiring. The following link is to a supplier of that product:

http://www.towsure.com/product/13145

(Incidentally, the 2005 Ford Transit platform-cab chassis on which my Hobby motorhome is built already has tow-bar wiring in place, including the socket. This is all tucked up beneath the rear of the vehicle, neatly clipped to the underside of the chassis. There's no mention of its presence in the Transit handbook, but presumably it's 'ready to go' and just requires the addition of a tow-bar to fix it to. Don't know if other Year 2000-onwards Transits are similarly equipped, but it seems quite likely.)

Archived