Sevel base vehicle alternate security

diggahome

Having read many articles in magazines and on the internet on the issue of Motorhomes being stolen, I devised a solution that is simple, cheap and effective.

I was concerned that this situation could easily happen to me , so I carried out some research.

Due to the fuel filler cap being prised off and subsequently a vehicle key being made from it, an unsuspecting owner can be unaware of the problem because of the filler cover flap obscuring the theft, until the Motorhome is missing from its normal parking space.

I inquired with the local Fiat dealer as to a replacement cap and key only to be told that a complete vehicle set of keys and locks would be required at a very extortionate price.

Not happy with that avenue of investigation but still concerned greatly my solution was to visit to my local vehicle salvage yard whereupon I obtained a 2nd hand fuel lock and key suitable for our Motorhome. Now if our cap is prised off and a new key made it will be of no worth to the entrepreneur as the key manufactured from the fuel lock will not fit the motorhome.

As an added bonus, if the replacement cap is prised off then the original can be fitted until another visit to the salvage yard can be arranged.

These caps are fitted to a variety of vehicles i.e. for the Fiat based this includes Doblo , Scudo and obviously Ducato. I did not check whether Peugeot or Citroen fit but I do not see why not.

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression that you couldn't start the vehicle with a replacement ignition key because the engine electronic starter system was coded to the key issued by the manufacturer. Might be wrong, but that's how I read the handbook.

This could also could be why the new complete set of keys is a high price as they have to be set to your vehicle.

Discuss!

Surely, you still retain the original ignition key - you just end up with another key, just for the fuel cap. A small price to pay for the extra security. Anyone know where they can be obtained, other than the breakers yard?

Brian

Archived