Tyre valve extentions

chas

Having bought a nice set of chrome plated wheel covers I find that it is impossible to take the dust caps off and check the tyre pressures, without having to remove the covers , which is a bind as they fit quite tightly. I am hoping someone might know of a supplier to extend the valves about an inch. Have asked at local tyre fitters and motorfactors with no luck. The wheels are 15" Boxers with a pressure of 58lb or 4 bars. Thanks chas

chas - 2007-08-08 1:07 PM Having bought a nice set of chrome plated wheel covers I find that it is impossible to take the dust caps off and check the tyre pressures, without having to remove the covers , which is a bind as they fit quite tightly. I am hoping someone might know of a supplier to extend the valves about an inch. Have asked at local tyre fitters and motorfactors with no luck. The wheels are 15" Boxers with a pressure of 58lb or 4 bars. Thanks chas

Hi Chas,

The attached may be useful.

A friend has them fitted on his fleet of Transits and he is very pleased with them. I've also fitted the 1000mm extension to the spare wheel under the van so that I can keep an eye on the pressure without crawling underneath and this also works a treat.

http://www.air-flexx.com/en/order.html

• 1 year later...

Chas

It's 2 years since you posted your original q. Don't know if you got it sorted. I had a similar problem and the Halfords adaptors were too short. Finally tracked down a longer version (46mm o/all) made by PANG - part number 250555

Pang are wholesalers of all tyrey valvey thingies but tell me they supply kwik fit and the like.

250555.jpg.5dee32867fe0c41a6a2aff9b5a0a9769.jpg

The ones Hughmer mentions are not suitable for Motorhomes they are lightweight plastic ones & would be very dangerous you need ones that can handle the higher pressures.

Your safest option would be to get new longer series valves fitted make sure the are either the metal bodied or have a metal insert, suitable for pressures up to 90 PSI. Most tyre fitter's do not stock them & would have to order them or try a commercial tyre dealer that stocks lorry tyres.

Standard valves are normally rated to 4.75 bar (68 PSI) too close for comfort as tyre pressures rise considerably when the tyres are hot during motorway cruising etc.

My Bilbos T4 came with tyre valve extenders very similar to the one shown on Hughmers post. They have been on the van for 7 years and have been no problem apart from losing a couple from the offside wheels ( due to wheel direction on offside tending to unscrew them) Problem fixed with a drop of Loctite. Spares were readily available from my local motor factors. I fail to see how they are unsuitable for motorhomes. They are just long dustcaps with an internal mechanismn that depresses the tyre valve inner only when a pump is used. Under normal use they do not play any part in retaining the tyres pressure. They would only do this in the event of failure of the valve in which case they would be no less safe than the plastic dustcaps fitted as standard ( Which is why I use old fashioned metal dustcaps on my m/cycle)

I wonder if the moderators should consider a new forum for scaremongers

lennyhb - are not suitable for Motorhomes they are lightweight plastic ones & would be very dangerous

Where's the evidence for this assertion lennyhb, - and were you wearing a hi viz jacket before you made this post? If you weren't I'm sure elfin safety will want a word.

I'm sorry to be so confrontational but my truck came fitted with these extensions. I pumped the tyres from time to time without any problem. Then one day I scratched one of the extensions on a kerb and from then on it leaked - (when I put an air line on it). I had great difficulty finding a replacement of the right length. The "lorry type" were too long. Halfords too short.

But do you know what, - in two years of owning the truck, the other (working) extension has never blown up!!!!.

I bought the truck from a German chap. He fitted the originals. So I rang him tonight and he told me he put the extensions on 4 years before selling the truck to me, - and in all that time, they never blew up once either!!! Well bother me!

So to my simple mind they seem pretty safe for their intended purpose. They are not valves themselves. They remain constantly screwed to the existing valve and extend the length through such obstacles as wheel trims.

They are, as Stuwsmith says, intended to assist in inflating tyres, - not for controlling pressure therein.

So if Chas is still around, - did you sort the problem???

Auto4 markets a range of tyre-valve extenders in various materials and lengths.

Go to

http://www.auto4.co.uk

enter "extension" in the SEARCH SHOP box and click on the Search button.

As has already been suggested, it would be prudent to choose a metal extension rather than a plastic one.

I've dealt with Auto4 in the past (they supplied the clamp-in valves for my Transit) and they seemed happy to provide technical advice about which products are like to be most suitable.

Hi all- I did get fixed up in the end, found some in plastic and they worked fine , for a while, but ones thread gave up and so would not allow any air pressure being put in. Eventualy tracked some down in a car accessory shop in metal, chrome finish for the princely some of £4.99. They are 30mm long, and should last forever in a pack of 4 by "Street wise". My next buy will be a smart digital tyre gauge.

Archived