Water leak

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I had the same problem with a caravan a decade ago, I used a damp meter (moisture meter) like this one http://tinyurl.com/3dozcx to detect where the water/damp was originating.

There should be more saturation at the point of entry, so take readings over an area as it is drying out and make notes, once dried out take readings as the area is being exposed to water.

I was able to monitor the damp area expanding from the point of entry and so detect the point of entry even though it could not be seen.

Regards Terry

Hi Basil and Sheila,

I expect you mean't http://www.toolmix.com/browse/product.asp?gid=833&pid=57370 .

It looks a good one but pricey, it seems similar to my moisture meter which cost around £130 about 10 yrs ago, works on an inductive loop I believe. There was/is another cheaper version advertised in MMM which used probes, unlike the inductive meters it would make small pin pricks in whatever you were testing, and only really tested the surface - whereas the inductive meter has a non invasive penetration of about an inch or so.

As a matter of interest you could use an electrical meter for detecting moisture, by selecting a High Ohms (resistance) reading !! not sure how you might calibrate it through.

Whoops Basil - see you got there before me (lol)

Regards Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure how that happened but I checked the link after posting and realised it was wrong and edited it! Obviously not as quick on the buttons as you though as it was virtually imediate :-D :-D :-D .

The one I have shown is quite impressive for its price, around £16 or less if you can be bothered to search deeper. Got mine from Godfreys on line on special offer for around £12 but I am very impressed with its performance.

Bas

Archived