Fixing Drive Away Awning to Guttering

billbaillie

I do hope someone can help.

We have a new Ford Duetto and would like to use our existing Apache drive away awning with it.

I'm reluctant to screw awning rail to the 'van and I'm certain I have seen something that enables you to fit the awning to the 'van using the existing gutter rail.

So, two things:

1. Can anyone direct me to a product that would enable me to fix the awning to the gutter rail?

2. Any opinions on the effectiveness of this type of system, or should I be seriously thinking about screwing awning rail to the 'van?

Any help, comments and opinions welcomed.

Regards

Hi

We attach our awning to the J channel  with a plastic extrusion that looks like a figure of eight. It was purchased from our local camping/caravanning shop and comes in 1 and 2 metre lengths. I think it cost about £2.50 per metre.

Regards

Alan W

Depends if you REALLY want to join the m/home to the awning.

we just park very close and do not join the two up,

1) Its real pain because the J rail is much higher than the top of the door ( or the door catches the fabric when it opens)

2) Awning flaps and the noise transmits to the M/home when windy.

3) its not really a problem being not joined up.

Try it out and see how you get on.

Rgds

billbaillie - 2007-08-09 4:57 PM

I've just realised that I should have used the term 'J Channel' rather than awning rail. I hope I have not caused to much confusion to readers/potential responders.

Regards

Hi bill,

I am a little confused as I am not familiar with your van, what is the difference between 'J Channel' and 'gutter' please.

Bas

Hi Bas

J Channel is a 'J' shaped channel that you fix across the top of the 'van and you hook the figure 8 strip onto it.

The gutter refered to is the guttering that runs around the top of the van and is part of the base vehicle manufacture.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that, I did not realise that you were reffering to a panel van, I understand now why you don't want to put a 'J' Channel on and why you don't already have one. Sorry I can't help with your problem it seems a bit of a difficulty, someone could make a few bob if they can realistically solve that one maybe!

Bas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill

Many moons ago when I had a panel van and also a drive away awning, I used a very simple method of attachment.

On the flap which goes up to the roof of the van i fixed a length of pole, ali for lightness, and this stayed with the awning when we drove away.

On the guttering of the van I screwed 2 plastic pipe clips of a size to take the diameter of the pole on the awning.

When we wished to attach the awning to the van it was simply a matter of clipping the pole into the clips, took literally seconds.

Never had any problems with wind, rain or vibrations.

Might be of help

(lol)

Baz

Guest JudgeMental

where can I get the stick on J channel and suitable adhesive, plus the 8 channel.

preferably online - as not any caravan/motorhome shop left in south London.....

watsoa - 2007-08-09 5:07 PM

Hi

We attach our awning to the J channel  with a plastic extrusion that looks like a figure of eight. It was purchased from our local camping/caravanning shop and comes in 1 and 2 metre lengths. I think it cost about £2.50 per metre.

Regards

Alan W

We had a bit of this stuff for our first VW T2 camper. No need for anything extra screwed to the van, the plastic strip clipped straight to the base vehicle guttering, and the awning's "rope" edge threaded through the other half of the extrusion."Figure 8" may be confusing - it refers to the cross-section, but the top & bottom of the "8" are cut away, creating something more like a bandy-legged "H." It's this cut-away that allows the strip to clip onto the guttering, and the awning to thread through it.Trust that's now as clear as mud!!Tony

JudgeMental - 2007-08-21 10:07 PM

where can I get the stick on J channel and suitable adhesive, plus the 8 channel.

preferably online - as not any caravan/motorhome shop left in south London.....

The Horsham branch has some j channel in cut lengths (Max about 4 m) and 8 joiner. A bit far out but Gillingham might have some.

http://www.camping-intl.com/contact-us/

Rgds

Archived