First motorhome - what to expect from dealer???

phantom

Hi all

finally bought our first motorhome on Saturday and managed to drive it home no problems. Really loving it, having great fun as my hubby calls it - playing house.

However we are a little concerned about the service from the dealer and wanted your opinions on what to expect and what to do to sort out the problems.

We bought a 1994 2.5d Elddis Autoquest 320d with PAS, reversing camera, bike rack, ladder, awning, alarm and new CD radio. Free starter kit of 2 gas, toilet chems and electric hook up cables. Two expensive fold up chairs thrown in. Promised one years car tax, MOT and warranty. Asked dealer to fix missing hob sheild, rusted step and internal stain in bathroom.

We are worried that:

*MOT due in November - said they would do it then.

*Tax - allowed to run out and had to go organise it myself AFTER driving it home unawares that it had none - said they would reimburse on recipt of paid tax.

*No warranty document - told it was on back of Contract of sale but this states that there is none. I have asked for written details.

*Feeling that the vehicle wasn't serviced prior to handover addded to by no bathrooom clean and step was WD40'd, not replaced and discovery last night that rear tail light is out.

*Van not even washed or filled with diesel.

Should I ask for these particulars(warranty etc) in writing rather than rely on their word or am I being overly suspicious? Should I have some written service details from this dealer confirming the service and habitation check they have done?

I don't know what the norm is and I haven't bought a car in years.

Love our van but don't want to be taken for a ride and think I should correct these problems in the first week.

Please advise.

Thanks Phantom

:-S

I think you'd be right to insist on all the 'missing' things to be put right, too, Phantom.

Glad to hear you're loving your new van (and it will get more so, believe me), but it sounds as though you need to take a firm stand with that dealer.

Good luck!

First thing get in writing what you want putting right and get them to sign or make them aware of complaints and make sure that you have a time limit for any work in writing as well.I know this seems a bit over the top but its easy to look back after and realise you could of done something.

Hi Phantom

It's such a shame that your excitement at being a motorhome owner can be tarnished by a dealer that doesn't really care.

I would not be surprised if, when you ask for the things you agreed before buying to be put in writing, that they never get done. My approach would be twofold. First I would check with your Trading Standards Office as to your position in law - they are usually very good with advice.

Second I would make a detailed note of everything you can recall about the deal you think you made and then write an equally detailed letter stating the things agreed, the things that are still outstanding and then asking what they are prepared to do about it. If they will not put it in writing at least you have your side in writing to fall back on.

I think you have had an insight into how this dealer will act and therefore, it is important that any correspondence or telephone contact you have with them is documented. If you send a letter, send it recorded delivery. If you speak to them on the phone make a note of the date, time, who you spoke to and the details of the conversation.

It is indeed unfortunate that we, the buying public, are a little more scrupulous and usually withold information as to who the dealer is. It is also unfortunate that, without anything in writing at the outset, you are unlikely to get any satisfaction from these people. If they were of good character you would not be needing to post on this forum as everything would have been taken care of.

Good luck with the struggle - but don't let it take anything away from your motorhoming pleasure.

Best regards, David

phantom - 2007-08-09 4:41 PM

Hi all

finally bought our first motorhome on Saturday and managed to drive it home no problems. Really loving it, having great fun as my hubby calls it - playing house.

However we are a little concerned about the service from the dealer and wanted your opinions on what to expect and what to do to sort out the problems.

We bought a 1994 2.5d Elddis Autoquest 320d with PAS, reversing camera, bike rack, ladder, awning, alarm and new CD radio. Free starter kit of 2 gas, toilet chems and electric hook up cables. Two expensive fold up chairs thrown in. Promised one years car tax, MOT and warranty. Asked dealer to fix missing hob sheild, rusted step and internal stain in bathroom.

We are worried that:

*MOT due in November - said they would do it then.

*Tax - allowed to run out and had to go organise it myself AFTER driving it home unawares that it had none - said they would reimburse on recipt of paid tax.

*No warranty document - told it was on back of Contract of sale but this states that there is none. I have asked for written details.

*Feeling that the vehicle wasn't serviced prior to handover addded to by no bathrooom clean and step was WD40'd, not replaced and discovery last night that rear tail light is out.

*Van not even washed or filled with diesel.

Should I ask for these particulars(warranty etc) in writing rather than rely on their word or am I being overly suspicious? Should I have some written service details from this dealer confirming the service and habitation check they have done?

I don't know what the norm is and I haven't bought a car in years.

Love our van but don't want to be taken for a ride and think I should correct these problems in the first week.

Please advise.

Thanks Phantom

:-S

The answer to your initial question,WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A DEALER.....SOD ALL!

Guest peter
I don't know what you paid, but it seems to me you got quite a good deal for a 1994 van. I'm sure there is something in the sale of goods act regarding minimum amount of M.O.T on vehicles sold by a dealer and also I believe he has maybe committed an offence by selling it to you without an excise licence on it. As regards the other faults these should be considered as fair wear and tear unless you have it in writing prior to accepting it, that they would rectify these items. By all means try and get them to fix it. But I would be mostly concerned about the previous items. The warranty you would get with a van of this age isn't worth the paper it's written on and would cost you a lot of money with all the servicing restrictions Etc. Anyway I hope it all turns out O/K and you have lot's of fun in it. Enjoy. Peter

Sorry Peter, but I'm not clear how you can conclude that they got quite a good deal without actually knowing what they paid for the van.

There were certainly a lot of promises made by the dealer - but it would seem that most of them were empty, and will now be extremely difficult to hold the dealer to, especially as (I assume) the dealer now has all their money.

If they'd paid £3,000 then even with the undelivered-upon promises I would agree with you that they got a good deal.

But if they'd paid (say) £30,000 I would strongly disagree.

Phantom - to you as buyers I'd suggest that YES, you should absolutely have got any and every promise from them about remedial work, cleaning, servicing etc IN WRITING before you parted with your money. EVERY TIME.

One negotiating tactic that can work in such circumstances (where a dealer is offering X, Y and Z as inducements to get you to buy), is to say that you wnat everything in writing, and that you will withhold X percentage of the money until you are satisfied that all those things have been done. The dealer may not like it, but if he wants to sell you the van enough, and he's genuine about the promises he's making, then there's really no reason for him not to accept that. If he won't, then I suggest that you be very suspicious about what he's "promising".

Also, be sure to specify EXACTLY what they mean about "a full service" - what does that actually involve them doing???? Certainly on the van mechanicals side it should really be the entire "main service" checklist of things - but which frankly I bet no secondhand van dealer has EVER done on a van that's already sold (for a start they are most unlikely to even have the electronic diagnostic equpiment for your exact make/model of van.)

You're now in a position I guess where it's simply your word against theirs - and they they have no financial incentive (in fact they of course have a financial dis-incentive) to do the other things now that you say they promised.

I guess you need to get them to do as much of the other stuff as quickly as possible now, as the passing of time will make them even less likely to fix things.

According to Honest John, the Daily Telegraph's motoring guru, unless it was sold at or below trade price, the dealer is bound by the Trade Descriptions Act 1968, the Sale of Goods Act 1979, the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 WHICH MEANS, regardless of lack of warranty paperwork, he is compelled to give a six-month guarantee. Hope this helps.

Might be worth looking at honestjohn.co.uk.

Bob

I'd just try to get it sorted out as quickly as possible. As someone has already said, after a period of time, it gets harder to sort out.

Maybe write a polite " thank you " letter to the dealer but mention all the agreed extras. Ask for a written reply confirming your points. Then you have at least got something in writing as an arguing point?

I do think you need to be realistic about what to expect when buying a 13 year old vehicle though. There is going to be wear and tear and some deterioration in finish.

The prices our local dealers ask for motorhomes is astronomical so I would at least expect it to be clean, nothing major broken and have a basic engine service done. You should be OK with the tax money and MOT - what excuse could he give for not paying after all?

If you PM me the dealers name, I'll try to advise. TBH, none of the big N Ireland dealers give great service. ( Based on my own experience and talking to others)

Anyway, enjoy playing houses. Hope you have years of fun and happy travels in your new purchase.

Where are you going on your first trip out?

Archived