Another Inconvenient (half) truth

Vernon B

There I was, half dozing, while watching the beautiful scenery of the Lake District (and Julia Bradbury) when this chap comes on saying that millions of years ago the mountains there were higher than the Himalayas. And that’s not all. Apparently they’re now saying that in another million or so years they’ll have completely disappeared. The Lake District will be lakeless and as flat as a pancake.

Got me thinking that did ‘cause its bound to have been caused by human activity. Well to begin with I suppose it was dinosaur activity and lets face it you don’t need many of them big buggers roaming the hills to do a lot of damage. But since they’ve been blown away it’s all down to us, and more particularly them there Fell walkers.

Doesn’t take you long to imagine what’ll happen soon does it?

1st April 2012 - BBC Radio 4 News

A team of scientists (first year undergraduates at Wolverhampton University – Life Skills Faculty) has proved that the worrying reductions in the height of Lakeland mountains is definitely due to human activity. Spending a day, and £5m of a lottery grant, the scientists have been able to demonstrate that there is a measurable link between a person walking over a mountain and that mountain “sinking” into the ground. Dr A. Dockhead who led the research explains:

“Our research programme was able to model very closely what happens when someone walks over a mountain. We were able to find a number of mole hills containing soil compositions almost identical to those of the Lakeland area. By getting volunteers, of various weights and heights, to walk over the mole hills we were able to show that the mole hills were flattened and the rate at which this happened was a function of the weight applied to them. By utilising the power of a Mark I Amstrad computer at the university it was then a relatively easy, albeit lengthy, process to demonstrate that the same results could be expected if, “the whole thing was scaled up’”.

1st April 2015 The Federal State of Europe – Summit of Member States

Today the High Representative enacted powers to introduce a “Fell Walking Tax” across the Union. As the United Kingdom is the only member state to have “Fells” the impact of this legislation will be limited. The various volumes of directives controlling these taxes are, among other things, designed to encourage walkers to use German or French boots rather than those manufactured in the UK, since it is these that have been shown to be responsible for the reductions in Fells over the years. During her address the High Representative said "here is yet another example of how legislation can be brought in quickly to deal with environmental concerns across the Union as a whole, following the formation of the Federal State and the simultaneous abandonment of democracy".

Then I woke up!

Vernon

Vernon B - 2007-08-09 5:36 PM

Got me thinking that did ‘cause its bound to have been caused by human activity. Well to begin with I suppose it was dinosaur activity and lets face it you don’t need many of them big buggers roaming the hills to do a lot of damage. But since they’ve been blown away it’s all down to us, and more particularly them there Fell walkers.

(lol) Wrong. The Earth has been changing ever since it came into being. For instance? The Americas actually used to be part of the European Continent. ;-)

thought it was all one big continent Pan something or other - which broke up, and that the Himalayas were formed when the India subcontinent crashed into Asia

[not sure what it has to do with motorhomes mind :-> :-> ]

[no doubt wiki has a good post on it]

B-)

Personally speaking I've always thought that the lake district was flat. Well, every time we have been there it was that misty that all you could see was the three feet of flat land before you.

Other people have told me that they have been there when the sun was shining but you never know when they are exagerating.

David

pagey - 2007-08-09 7:27 PM

am i missing something here or is someone smoking something fragrent

naw, damages the nasal cavities - we just get our pills from Michele, she's away at the minute so we're hitting withdrawal symptoms

B-)

Twooks - it was called Gondwana before it started to split up.

If you're worried about the Lake District, spare a thought for the Alps with a much bigger problem. Just like everywhere else, the snow line and glaciers are retreating fast. The average snow fall is also diminishing fast (no real snow last winter until well into February). This reveals bare rocks which absord much more heat that bright white reflective snow. This in turn melts the ice which is effectively holding those rocks together, the rocks crumble, there is a landslide, revealing more ice-knitted rocks which in turn . . . and so on. It's called a positive feedback loop and it means things are getting much worse much faster than anyone expected.

Such rock and mud slides are increasing in frequency. Even worse, without the very slow snow/ice melt from the snow/ice fields and glaciers that are diminishing so fast, the source water that keeps all of Europe's big rivers running thoughout summer - from the Rhone, Rhine to the Danube - will increasingly dry up in summer.. Yet worse, huge floods will become much more common because more of the snow will fall as rain and what snow there is will melt more quickly, running off the bare rocks rather than being stored for centuries as ice fields.

Advice: don't buy a sking apartment in the Alps!

Mel E

====

Hi,

I thought it was trees that turned the atmosphere from greenhouse gas to air, thus encouraging mankind to develop......and put it all back again by burning fossile fuels. So blame trees.

Where was all this water before it froze on mountains and at the Poles. Was anybody complaining about climate change during this freeze?

Will somebody tell me if I should prepare to burn, freeze or drown?

If you just keep thinking "WE'RE ALL DOOMED!" then that makes the idea of owning a motorhome even more justified!

We have got to get the most pleasure we can from our time remaining here on planet Earth, so we might as well get round the place to see what it is like, and bring joy into our own lives.

We put money into local economies so the people there can enjoy there lives.

We put money into the pockets of van dealers and manufacturers so they and their employees can enjoy life.

We get out and meet people so that's helping them enjoy their lives.

All this leads me to the conclusion that "vanners" are spreading joy and happiness to all peoples of the World, all races and all creeds. It is a terrible responsibilty but one we take on because we are "that type of people".

So stop worrying about what happens when the mountains go flat, what your "carbon footprint is", can I justify spending all that money to buy a motorhome and "which motorhome is best? (It's mine anyway!)

WE ARE ON A MISSION HERE PEOPLE! LET'S JUST GET OUT THERE AND DO IT!!!

Vernon B - 2007-08-09 5:36 PM

There I was, half dozing, while watching the beautiful scenery of the Lake District (and Julia Bradbury) when this chap comes on saying that millions of years ago the mountains there were higher than the Himalayas. And that’s not all. Apparently they’re now saying that in another million or so years they’ll have completely disappeared. The Lake District will be lakeless and as flat as a pancake.

Doesn’t take you long to imagine what’ll happen soon does it?

1st April 2012 - BBC Radio 4 News

A team of scientists (first year undergraduates at Wolverhampton University – Life Skills Faculty) has proved that the worrying reductions in the height of Lakeland mountains is definitely due to human activity. Spending a day, and £5m of a lottery grant, the scientists have been able to demonstrate that there is a measurable link between a person walking over a mountain and that mountain “sinking” into the ground. Dr A. Dockhead who led the research explains:

“Our research programme was able to model very closely what happens when someone walks over a mountain. We were able to find a number of mole hills containing soil compositions almost identical to those of the Lakeland area. By getting volunteers, of various weights and heights, to walk over the mole hills we were able to show that the mole hills were flattened and the rate at which this happened was a function of the weight applied to them. By utilising the power of a Mark I Amstrad computer at the university it was then a relatively easy, albeit lengthy, process to demonstrate that the same results could be expected if, “the whole thing was scaled up’”.

1st April 2015 The Federal State of Europe – Summit of Member States

Today the High Representative enacted powers to introduce a “Fell Walking Tax” across the Union. As the United Kingdom is the only member state to have “Fells” the impact of this legislation will be limited. The various volumes of directives controlling these taxes are, among other things, designed to encourage walkers to use German or French boots rather than those manufactured in the UK, since it is these that have been shown to be responsible for the reductions in Fells over the years. During her address the High Representative said "here is yet another example of how legislation can be brought in quickly to deal with environmental concerns across the Union as a whole, following the formation of the Federal State and the simultaneous abandonment of democracy".

Then I woke up!

Vernon

sorry vernon but i fell asleep halfway through reading your thread

Hi

Gondwana? Who called it that, and where is it recorded?

I used to live near a place called Sanderstead (near Croydon). We called it Sawn-derstead, but the residents cand it Sand-ersted. I understand the correct pronunciation of a place name should be that used by the residents.

So how do yoy pronounce "South Pole"?

Guest caraprof
W3526602 - 2007-08-12 7:14 AM Hi Gondwana? Who called it that, and where is it recorded? I used to live near a place called Sanderstead (near Croydon). We called it Sawn-derstead, but the residents cand it Sand-ersted. I understand the correct pronunciation of a place name should be that used by the residents. So how do yoy pronounce "South Pole"? 602

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana

Archived