Which Make/Which Dealer?

armstrongpiper

Brian Kirby - 2007-08-13 6:46 PM

I think your point is just too bleak.  (From what I hear about the early production examples of the new Sevel vans, I also think your claim that you'd be unlikely to get a duff base vehicle these days may turn out a bit over optimistic!)

I dont know how many on the Forum have noticed the new sticky posted by the Adminstrator asking for information of faults on the current range of vans ?

If you like me I skip the first half dozen topics and start on the real stuff (lol)

Rgds

there will always be bad luck stories. there is a risk to buying anything secondhand or even new. but with a repritable dealer and a warranty you would hope your ok. if you buy nearly new private you do all the neccersary background checks again should be ok any problems you should have maybe bugeted for as you would think you are getting cheeper than the dealer and ofcourse is secondhand. the further down the ladder you go in respect of age the more chance you take that you will need to do a few little diy jobs and your expectations just be lower

The number of times I have had to return to the purchasing dealer, to put 'niggles' right with both my German 'vans, makes me wonder how self importers get on. Or are the continentals not only better at building 'vans but the dealers better at the PDIs than the UK ones?

I would be interested to hear experiences.

Brian Kirby - 2007-08-13 6:46 PM

But Vernon, what I was talking about was no more than a strategy to reduce the risk of buying a dud.  If you look back, I ended by saying any van may prove faulty.

I think your point is just too bleak.  .

I accept that you were suggesting a strategy for reducing risk Brian and that has some logic. However, I was simply cautioning against placing too much confidence in the entire production of Germany or the Rapide or Pilote factories compared with any other motorhome manufacturers out there. My view, for what it's worth, is that none of them have sufficiently reliable manufacturing processes to make that claim.As far as being too bleak I'd just say that there are many websites devoted to similar "transport" based interests such as motorcycles, motor cars, boats and planes etc but I doubt you'll find any of those where the "disaffected" owners out number the "satisified" owners the way they do on these pages. Actually I'm not bleak at all, I'm just realistic, and have come to accept that constantly "putting your rig back together" is part of the joys of ownership. Which reminds me of the 1980's and 90's when the Japanese couldn't get enough BMC (or was it Leyland or Rover then?) minis because they liked to tinker with something that broke down!Vernon

my last van was a 03 bessacarr 725, I had a few minor probs most of which I fixed myself, but overall we were very pleased with it and the service we got from our local dealer. we now have a burstner elegance,

again a few problems most I fixed myself, better than bessy?, no just different (^) .

Archived