Foot and mouth

malc d

Be aware:

I've heard from a relative who just crossed Portsmouth to Caen that the French customs have started confiscating dairy products.

This happened to us during the last outbreak in 2001, when they also took away meat ( sausages).

If you are about to cross it might be a good idea to check this out before you go.

Not sure who we should blame if the following response to my enquiry regarding restrictions at Dover is accurate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail.

At present, DEFRA has published notices that are being displayed around the port advising that it is now illegal to take MEAT, MEAT PRODUCTS, MILK and DAIRY PRODUCTS abroad.

The ban includes sandwiches, packed lunches and food for self-catering holidays. This covers fresh, chilled, frozen, tinned, preserved and processed products.

All products must be disposed of in the rubbish bins around the port.

Unfortunately we do not know when the restrictions will be lifted. DEFRA will announce this as and when it is safe to lift the restrictions.

You may wish to visit DEFRA website at http://www.defra.gov.uk/footandmouth/ and contact DEFRA on 08459 33 55 77 or e-mail helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk

---------------------------------------------------

I can understand the fresh products but to include tinned and preserved seem a bit much as these products were probably processed months ago.

I always thought tins lasted for ever.

;-)

malc d - 2007-08-11 10:21 AM

Be aware:

I've heard from a relative who just crossed Portsmouth to Caen that the French customs have started confiscating dairy products.

This happened to us during the last outbreak in 2001, when they also took away meat ( sausages).

If you are about to cross it might be a good idea to check this out before you go.

From my previous experience malc that's a very minor issue, after all I'm always happy to share my grub with the frogs.

The bigger problem arises from them re-introducing the "disinfectant" sprays. I don't know what they used last time but it was that corrosive it rusted the bright work on our bikes and rotted through the rear wiring on the 'van. So look out and give everything a good sluice down if you're exposed to that stuff.

Anyway, it looks as if Golden Brown as sorted this one ...

bon appetite

Vernon

Archived