Any Dethleffs owners can help us with what buttons do what please?

johnny55

Hi there, we posted a thread recently on our engine/brake probs with our new Dethleffs and you were so very helpful, we are having it sorted by our mechanic, but we went away for a couple of days with the kiddies to give it a try and as we have no handbook of any kind and the lady that sold it to us unfortunatly had never done anything in the van, left it all to her husband who sadly passed away hence her selling it.

We cannot get the water to work, there is an 'auf' and 'zu' label above a tank with a gold lever which we have fiddled with but cannot get to do anything, and presume it fills the tank as its where the water goes in from the outside. The lever is on Auf which we think is open and the tank wont fill? So cant work the sink, shower etc til we sort it.

Also we cant get the gas to work? SO many buttons on the dash which we cannot fathom and also above the fridge 4 control knobs with pics of a tap , pan, icicle etc? One on off buton on the dash seems to start a pump but with no water in the tank dont want to go pressing that!

PLEASE HELP!!! We want to go away in her again, it was so comfy, once we figured out the bed...I think I got it right, abit bumpy, will take time to figure out the layout of the cushions properly so we arnt falling down a gap :-S

We tripped out the electric and found the switch after 10 mins in the wardrobe and are slowly finding things but if anyone has anything similar it is a 1991 Dethleffs, fiat ducato 1.9 diesel. A class. many thanks in advance, kate and john and all the 7 kiddies waiting to go away again!!!

Hi John

Are you sure about the "Auf" & "Zu" bit. This is generally on the waste tank and not the fresh water tank. But you are correct with Auf being open & Zu being closed.

Regards the gas supply part, the four "Taps" with the pictures on should all be in the verticaltal position, - in our Hymer van anyway- yours might be the other way round,this will allow for the cooker(if fitted), gas rings, fridge(icicle) and the Traumatic heater to be able to work.You must also make sure that the gas supply in your gas locker is also in the open position.

If you have electronic ignition for the cooker and gas rings, then don't forget to make sure that your 12volt electric switch is also in the "on" position.

Maybe worth while contacting the nearest Dethleffs dealer to you to see if they can help. Failing that, all I can suggest is to contact Dethleffs direct.

www.dethleffs.co.uk

We've got a Hymer but the internal gas workings are all very similar.Knowing the members of this forum, someone with a Dethleffs will be along to offer some help.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Thai

Thanks Thai, the tank that is next to the passenger seat is where it runs out to where it should be filled by hose from the outside, hence thinking this was the fresh water tank. There is another tank behind the drivers seat, ( its LHD) Have tried the control knobs both ways, no luck so far. we have emailed Dethleffs direct so awaiting a reply hopefully.

It is an awkward situation as the sellers husband only died recently and we dont want to keep bothering her, but at the same time it is so frustrating not being able to know what all these switches do!

Cheers again, john

Hi Johnny

On my dethleff 1995 a501 there is a switch on the dash to turn on the 12v power to the habitation area, if the interior lights work it is switched on.

The taps are for each gas appliance the "icicle" is for running your fridge on gas, the pan switch is for you gas rings etc.

Vertical is ON

horizontal is OFF.

Gas, older German m/homes are designed to run on 50 Mbar regulators. check yours, if it is blue, (if you are using UK bottles) it will be a 37Mbar regulator

You can only obtain a 50Mbar regulator for propane, not butane.

( Try ebay for a 50mbar reg if you need one)

You will have problems if you try using a 37 mbar regulator.

Someone with your model Dethleff, has Thai said, will be along to help you with your water

Regards

Stan

johnny55 - 2007-08-11 1:38 PM

Thanks Thai, the tank that is next to the passenger seat is where it runs out to where it should be filled by hose from the outside, hence thinking this was the fresh water tank. There is another tank behind the drivers seat, ( its LHD) Have tried the control knobs both ways, no luck so far. we have emailed Dethleffs direct so awaiting a reply hopefully.

It is an awkward situation as the sellers husband only died recently and we dont want to keep bothering her, but at the same time it is so frustrating not being able to know what all these switches do!

Cheers again, john

John

Your fresh water tank is the same as mine. the tank you see behind the drivers seat IS the fresh water tank, it is filled has you say next to the passenger seat, you do not have another tank.

The drainage tap you see at the bottom of the filler hole, next to the pssenger seat is only there to empty your fresh water tank, should you wish to clean it some time.

Fill it up near to the top.if your drainage tap is in the open position, water will drain out by your feet.

will pm you.

Stan

Hi

I was in same position as you and contacted Dethleffs in Germany, they kindly sent me an owners manual, aparantly all the models are all pretty much the same. With water, turn the switch to Auf (open) to Drain, Zu (closed) for normal use, and mine has another for filling, this is to prevent air locks when filling, its is two German words. The 12v power switch is on the dashboard, 12v 0 or 1 (1 is on 0 is off). This supplies power to the water pump, lights and everything else. The gas could be the switches on the fridge cooker unit or the gas bottle turned off or empty, I have found that low gas sometimes stops things from working. Where about's do you live? I am in west sussex, I could show you all the stuff we have worked out if you like!

Matt

cheers Matt, we spent yesterday trying to fill the water. It has a gold lever, but even pushing that over to closed, it comes straight out under the vehicle, so cant get the valve to close. have tried the gas with it turned on and no joy so think it may need more gas in the bottle. if you arew in west sussex it would be great to meet up, our no. is 01737 218760, reigate, if you want to ring or leave a number perhaps we can get together? We have found a handbook of sorts all in german and tried to translate it through the internet , bit tricky!!THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP, GETTING THERE, JUST WANT TO SORT THE WATER!

cheers Matt, we spent yesterday trying to fill the water. It has a gold lever, but even pushing that over to closed, it comes straight out under the vehicle, so cant get the valve to close. have tried the gas with it turned on and no joy so think it may need more gas in the bottle. if you arew in west sussex it would be great to meet up, our no. is 01737 218760, reigate, if you want to ring or leave a number perhaps we can get together? We have found a handbook of sorts all in german and tried to translate it through the internet , bit tricky!!THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP, GETTING THERE, JUST WANT TO SORT THE WATER!

Has the water tank got a cleaning access hatch on the top? If so, take it off and have a look inside, it might have a 'bung' that goes into a hole in the bottom, in which case you'll need to put the bung back in to stop the water coming out when you fill it. It might not be the same on your van as our's a Rimor but worth a try.

Hi John,

If the vehicle is fitted with a Truma water heater, another possibility for the fresh water tank not filling is that the frost protection drainage valve is open on the Truma unit, as you fill the fresh tank, water will simply empty through the Truma.  The valve will generally open when the fresh water tank is drained irrespective of outside temperature.

Check around the Truma, the valve will either be a yellow crossover open/close switch or a red push up/down one, up is closed, down is drain. 

Am going to try and find the trauma frost protection switch, that may be my answer! havnt found the boiler yet, and again all the trauma info is in German!

Today we found yet another couple of red switches, under the carpet by the drivers side near the handbrake. maybe battery isolater swtches?

Just hope we havnt done any damage to the seal while we have been pulling and pushing this gold lever that opens and closes the water valve, this is so frustrating. thanks to all once again, going to have another look now at the trauma system, and see if we have any joy. John

Archived