FANTASY TRIPS - No 1

Vernon B

You need to read "Is It Me" to understand where I coming from here.

Anyway here goes don't know quite what the rules are but suppose you have no time or budget limits, someone provides a "start" and "destination" others add their "must visit" stops en route.

Let me start with one I'd actually like to do - Birmingham to Athens, but avoiding Italy. Any ideas? Anyone done it? Outline routes or detail stop welcome ...

Vernon

Johnsandsandywhite - I guess because maybe you haven't got the time/money at the moment, but want to go somewhere at some point in the future.

Eg. I'd love to buy a brand-new 6 berth top-of-the range A-Class van with air-con, and all the other bells and whistles (just for the two of us, so we get loads of space) and spend the following year (or more), touring around the entire world, from Europe across through Asia, and then back across the USA.

But I ain't got the money, and I ain't got the time. So it's a fantasy, at least for the forseeable future.

Cheers,

Bruce.

(lol) People keep talking about the future, when they can afford it? Why buy NEW? I bet you have an house that is worth twice as much as my 2 houses put together. I have been retired almost 11 years. We have toured Europe and the USA (part of it anyway) and will continue to do so until the day we die. It does NOT cost a LOT of money. We LIVE on LESS than £7,500 a year. Including in the past 7 years having bought and sold 4 RV's. You just need to make the decision to go out and DO IT. ;-)

johnsandywhite - 2007-08-13 5:40 PM

(lol) People keep talking about the future, when they can afford it? Why buy NEW? I bet you have an house that is worth twice as much as my 2 houses put together. I have been retired almost 11 years. We have toured Europe and the USA (part of it anyway) and will continue to do so until the day we die. It does NOT cost a LOT of money. We LIVE on LESS than £7,500 a year. Including in the past 7 years having bought and sold 4 RV's. You just need to make the decision to go out and DO IT. ;-)

that would be nice but not possible for all of us. we have three young children, a large mortgage to pay and many ambitions to achieve before retirement. and i would never sell my properties. just imagine what your property would be worth now had you kept it and try to buy another now i would hope to be able afford to keep them by such a time, wouldnt spend my childrens well earned inheritence just like my parents wouldnt do so for me.

Vernon B - 2007-08-13 3:56 PM

You need to read "Is It Me" to understand where I coming from here.

Anyway here goes don't know quite what the rules are but suppose you have no time or budget limits, someone provides a "start" and "destination" others add their "must visit" stops en route.

Let me start with one I'd actually like to do - Birmingham to Athens, but avoiding Italy. Any ideas? Anyone done it? Outline routes or detail stop welcome ...

from birmingham head for nottingham i will take you to a forest match and a saturday night out in town. then you should head for hull for a ferry to zeebrugger. whos next

johnsandywhite - 2007-08-13 4:55 PM

8-) Why a Fantasy Trip? Just take a hit of CRACK. (lol)

B-) Seriously though. Why Fantasy> If you WANT to go somewhere? Why not just GO. ;-)

well good for you johnsandywhite. I wish I had the courage to do so. anyhow im many years younger than yourself and happy doing our mini tours with the young bambinos at present, but come 60, the house is downsized and im retired and im off. 21 years and counting..

Great post Vernon, love an opportunity to wax philosophical. (groan) :-(

I think I am living my fantasy, just like johnsandywhite, but in a completely different way.

We are off for a 3 week trip around Germany and the Czech republic in a few weeks - visiting Koln, Dresden, Prague, the Bohemian and Bavarian countryside, coming back via the Balck Forest and stocking up with Alsace wines after that. Fantasy enough for me.

I get 35 days holiday a year which is split into trips varying between 1 and 3 weeks across the UK and Europe (but mostly in France). We also have many day trips and weekends away throughout the year. We are fortunate as we are both natural history anoraks, and our trips are generally designed to allow us to enjoy this indulgence, as well as more traditional touristy stuff.

Whilst our trips are 'fantastic' we love our bricks and mortar and are usually ghappy to be back home. Neither of us is at all envious of full timers or anyone able to take extended trips - 4 weeks has been the longest we have been away and that was too long.

Retirement – what’s that? I can’t imagine our lifestyle changing until we are physically forced to.

Our relatively small low profile coachbuilt is ideal for us, not too big to get around in out of the way places, and suitable for day tripping – just about big enough for our average 2 week break. Not too expensive to run either as we average between 10 and 12,000 mile p.a

So there you have it – we are all different I guess.

B-)

K&D - 2007-08-13 7:17 PMi would never sell my properties. just imagine what your property would be worth now had you kept it and try to buy another now i would hope to be able afford to keep them by such a time, wouldnt spend my childrens well earned inheritence just like my parents wouldnt do so for me.

8-) Excuse me. I STILL own my 2 cheapo properties. I live on the measly income from the rents and a measly Miners pension. Total £7500 per annum less some ****** Taxes. *-)

BTW. Others WITH children have done and are doing it too. ;-)

We thought we'd have to sell the house and downsize to be able to afford a van. However, I saved like mad for a year, sold our caravan and took out a small loan to make up the difference to buy our 10 year old Hymer. It was all more than worth it.

In 10 years time when we hope to retire I'll have no qualms in downsizing the house in order to fund long trips abroad. We'll just keep a small property for when we are unable to tour.

I don't see the point in trying to provide an inheritance for the kids as it could all end up going on nursing home fees - god forbid. In the meantime I intend to live life to the full and enjoy our van as much as possible.

So, I have to agree with johnsandywhite and panagah - life's too short.

robin - 2007-08-14 10:27 AM

We are off for a 3 week trip around Germany and the Czech republic in a few weeks - visiting Koln, Dresden, Prague, the Bohemian and Bavarian countryside, coming back via the Balck Forest and stocking up with Alsace wines after that. Fantasy enough for me.

B-)

Nice trip robin you'll love it

Vernon

Vernon B - 2007-08-14 2:57 PM

robin - 2007-08-14 10:27 AM

B-)

Nice trip robin you'll love it

Vernon

I hope it isn't a fantasy trip after all - just learnt that the dog's got to go in for an op on Friday - she should just about be recovered in time to go the kennels before we head off.

K&D - 2007-08-14 7:30 PM

vernon i dont think its worked maybe you could start again with more of an explanation its a good idea

Yep I think you're right - might be a better thread for those winter nights. Meanwhile I'll think about better ground rules

Archived