Tracking devices

Mike P

I've just ordered a new Autotrail Cheyenne (Fiat base; did I do the right thing!) and my insurers will not cover it unless it is fitted with a tracking device. The two options seem to be the Phantom and the RAC Tracker.

Does anyone out there have experience of these devices to help me decide?

Thanks in advance

Mike P - 2007-08-13 3:57 PM

I've just ordered a new Autotrail Cheyenne (Fiat base; did I do the right thing!) and my insurers will not cover it unless it is fitted with a tracking device. The two options seem to be the Phantom and the RAC Tracker.

Does anyone out there have experience of these devices to help me decide?

Thanks in advance

Not all insurers insist on this although most require a Cat 1 alam with immobiliser. Is there an option for you to change insurers? The problem with the tracking device is that you have to pay for the service every year and it will only tell them where you motorhome is once you or they have realised it's not where it shoudl be! A Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser will at least go off as soon as someone enters the van.

We insure, and have done so for many years, throu' the Caravan Club and 'Devitts Insurance' . I do not recall them ever 'demanding' any security or tracker device. ( That does not mean that we do not have anything of that sort not fitted!!)

Shop around. Regards Mike & Cherry

Mike Parke - 2007-08-13 11:09 PM

We insure, and have done so for many years, throu' the Caravan Club and 'Devitts Insurance' . I do not recall them ever 'demanding' any security or tracker device. ( That does not mean that we do not have anything of that sort not fitted!!)

Shop around. Regards Mike & Cherry

Likewise, no security requirements with Safeguard - it may depend on the value though.

If you are travelling to Europe do these trackers work and locate abroad?

I would recommend Comfort Insurance who do not insist on a tracker and are geared up for motorhome insurance and Van Bitz for alarm and tracker.

Archived