that sinking feeling!!

Champstar

Our van is only just over a year old and while on holiday recently the van develped a leak from the kitchen sink soaking a large area of the floor and carpets. managed to dry it out and luckily it was near the end of the holiday and we managed with only the bathroom sink.

Two points on phoning our dealer 500 miles away the only response was not to use the sink and it would be weeks until the van could be booked in to fixed...not on.. told them I would arrive on a certain day and that I was not happy as van had only just had a habitation service done. When I did take the van in after our holiday I cannot praise them enough for very quickly fixing the problem.

Secondly I was told that the waste drain from the sink had completely cracked and was beginning to disintegrate...on a new van??? However they stated that this was a common problem not only in my make of van but also with others....anyone else had a similar or know of this problem.

Well....yes, actually!

When my Hobby was new in 2002, this was the only fault that it suffered within it's 'running in' period. We were in the North West at the time and I managed to get a replacement from a caravan dealer for a couple of quid and fix it within a few minutes.

The problem was undoubtedly caused by the original fitter tightening the jubilee style clip up too tight causing too much stress in the plastic 'U' bend fitting. This then deteriorated into a crack after some use before leaking into my cutlery drawer underneath.

I have also met other people who have suffered such minor problems on newish vehicles. I was grateful that it was something that could be easily discovered rather than it being some hidden joint between the double floors or similar. It did cause me to check all compression type joints on the van though - just in case. It is worth checking all water system joints periodically as some joints have 'O' rings or washers which can (and do) break down over time

Edited to add - carry a roll of self-amalgamating tape with you for eventualities such as the one described in the first post. It's amazing stuff and will effect a long lasting repair that will seal even under significant pressure and be totally waterproof.

Nobby

In reply to Nobby the sink sit above the oven in my van so would have difficulty trying to affect a repair myself...dont fancy trying to disconnect oven etc to get at waste pipe..on other hand could remove the sink if I knew how to get the tap off :$

Nobby - 2007-08-14 5:36 PM

What's an oven? (lol)

If you buy a Foreign made van you'll probably Never know, at almost ANY price.

Plus they have a strange habit of wanting to sleep on top of a garage.Just as bad as climbing a ladder to get into an overcab bed Ok for kids but not for 'Grown-ups' (oldies with stiff joints) (lol)

:'( 3 Year old Rapido from Brownhills......... Bathroom sink has cracks by the dozen and has given up the ghost. All from the plughole area suggesting fatigue. Sink useless, Brownhills useless, last component on order for 11 months before I bought a relacement from a caravan dealer! Help, wher can I get an oval sink from?

Archived