First time buyer

rosieglo

We are looking to buy our first motorhome to use on an extended trip around Europe next spring. Our original intention was to look around this year to see whats about in the second hand market and to decide on size, style and layout before taking the plunge. The more we look the more apparent it becomes that you really do need to do your homework well in advance to be sure of not making an expensive mistake.

We have been looking in the £20,000 to £27,000ish bracket.

Rather than hopping around all over the country to try to see for ourselves the different makes and styles on offer (although we have done some of that!), we thought that we would go to the Northern Show at York. It is advertised as the one of the largest shows for new and second hand motorhomes, and it also tells us in its adverts that there are plenty of end of season bargains to be had.

It has made us think about buying one at the end of this season even though it means storing it in expensive storage over winter, to take advantage of any savings to be had.

I would appreciate some feedback from experienced buyers of motorhomes as to whether there are good end of season savings to be had generally ( we have had advice to the contrary ) and also would the Northern Show be a good place to find them?

Any advice would be helpful to help us to decide.

Bit of a multiple choice question, this!  £20,000-£27,000 suggests a recent, used, van, or possibly a new import direct from Europe.  You may get a good end of season van, but most of these tend to be the ones that haven't sold so far.  Not necessarily because they are flawed, but mainly because of something that has not appealed to the average shopper.  Interior fabric colours, layout, something of that sort, rather than intrinsic faults.  However, if you find what you want, it'll be good for you.

If you buy to put in store, half your warranty will have expired before you get it out again.  If it is a used van, maybe all of the warranty.  On that ground alone, I wouldn't!  On the whole it is better to put the van into immediate use once bought.

However, it may not be wise to trot off around Europe in a virtually untried van.  I'd suggest you use it for one or two shorter tips in UK before you stray too far away.  These vans are more complex than many realise, and things do go wrong and need fixing, especially when they are newly bought.  Easiest fixed at home, where at least the language is more or less familiar!

I'd suggest something like the NEC show to see the full range of new vans available, or visiting just the largest dealerships to see the widest possible range of used vans all in one place.  You don't have to buy from them if you don't like them, but you will see a lot of vans all together in one day.

I'd also suggest you secure delivery before Easter next year, because that is when everyone else starts having the same thoughts.  If you buy new, that may mean ordering it October/November 2007.  Get the van first, try it in UK, get the extra bits you actually need after you've tried it out, rather than getting the bits you think you'll need when you first buy it and, when it is all bedded down and working as you want, do the European trip in the Late summer/autumn 2008.

Hope this helps.

If you intend to drive in Europe for an extended period consider a second hand left hand drive m/h. It will be cheaper than rhd and much easier to drive over there. Personally I would also suggest a German or French m/h with a permanent bed as making up even the easier ones gets to be a chore and they usually have humps & bumps in them which are tolerable for a few nights but will certainly irritate after several months. If you can get all you will need into an under 3500kg go for that as it is cheaper on motorways, has less restrictions as to where you can drive it an will be more economical on fuel. Also think about fitting a Gaslow re-fillable lpg cylinder or a fixed under-slung tank which will save you changing cylinder types as you move through different countries. Thats a few things to be getting on with, I am sure that other folk will be along soon with other suggestions.

Hi Rose & Welcome

Like the good people before me have suggested, it might be best until the new year so you can see other vans at bigger shows, There is another show coming up at the NEC in November time - I think, best look in the magazine. Like BK has said there is also the largest indoor show coming up in Feb 2008.

At the York show, another suggestion is, maybe look in the day vistors car park area, and approach any people in their vans and speak to them. We are a friendly bunch really, and most people would be happy in showing you inside their pride and joys. This way you will get an idea form actual users rather than the "Rose tinted" views of a salesperson.

Like BK has said, you may come across the ideal van but the colour scheme may be not right, DON'T overlook this option as on some previous threads, people have had their internal furnishings relined with a colour that they like. Also look at waht one of the contributors on this forum has done to his own van. Dave Newell is featured in the August MMM.

If you do see a van that you like, put a deposit on it & say that you'll pay the balance say in Feb'08. Dealers are prepared to do deals if you push them. We did this recently with our new van. I paid a largish deposit in Nov'06, and knowing that there were some investments coming in from overseas, agreed with the dealer the balance to be paid in Feb'07.This way I was not losing any interest on my savings. By doing this you can still earn a little interest on your money without you taking £27K out of your account in one go.

Hope I've confused you even more, but also take advice on using the van here first before taking a foreign trip. Things do go wrong and if abroad their could be a language breakdown in getting any repairs done at a dealer, especially if you're in a UK made van.

All the best, & let us know what you've decided on.

Thai

Good advice from Brian, Thai Bry et. al., but there could be a problem if you opt for a new van and don't want delivery until next Spring, especially if it is a new or updated model.

Even with the best dealer, and ours won the National MMM Dealer of the Year Award this year, delivery dates are often quoted more in hope than in expectation. So many unforseen things can set back delivery - a shortage of even the smallest component at the factory could mean a wait of several weeks. Try to get some sort of assurance that it will be delivered by a certain date. Two months before departure would not be unreasonable. As Brian (I think) said, you will need a couple of trial runs before the big event.

Think of the obvious when making your initial shortlist. For example, if one of you is over about 6' 2' you can discount half the vans on the market as you will be able neither to stand up nor lie down in comfort. (Check the headroom and bed sizes in the MMM stats section for starters.) If you need more than two belted seats that's another large percentage in the bin.

Thai Bry offered perhaps the best advice so far. Chat to motorhomers about their vans. You will still get a biased opinion of course, but it will not be primarily focussed on parting you from your cash. We really are a friendly lot and I'm sure you will get a welcome and a conducted tour from most people you approach. Early evening is a good time - there might be a drop of plonk left in the bottle after the meal, and you never know your luck!

Finally, as for waiting until next Spring - why would you want to if you already have the cash set aside? Buy it as soon as you decide on a model, then use and enjoy it during the winter. By the time you embark on your big trip you will be veteran motorhomers.

Thanks for all your info and advice. We will take a look at York perhaps but def go to NEC.

We''l make a list of must haves and should haves etc and come back with more definate ideas of the vans we want, then look at buying a recent used van. Perhaps try to get one privately if we can find one we want that way.

Think the advice about going out in the van a few times before the 'big one' is sound.

Mind you we did do five weeks in a hired Toyota Hi top from Perth to Darwin last year and we enjoyed every minute of it despite the size of the van.

We have thought about a LHD vehicle but were concerned that we wouldn't be able to sell it on very easily. I suppose that they are cheaper to buy in the first place though. Not sure by how much though.

Once again thanks to all. Looking forward to our trip a very lot!!

Generally, LHD is slower to sell than RHD, but it does sell.  It is not clear if you were intending to come back from your European trip, sell the van, and put your feet up; or whether, having got the van, you'd keep it for several years.

Assuming the latter, I wouldn't worry too much about the re-sale value.  After depreciation hase taken its toll, there won't be such a great difference in the sale price of either after, say, 5 years.

How much can you save?  Well, naturally, it depends on what you buy.  The more expensive the van you're buying, potentially, the greater the saving.  If you settle on an imported make, I'd say it would definately be worth exploring the savings to be made - when you know what you actually want.  In the meantime, think, in ball park terms, of somewhere in the region of £5,000 off a van that would usually sell in RHD form in UK for £35,000.  That is to say you should be able to get the same van, to the same general spec, in LHD form, for £30,000.

If you intend buying second hand, it is still wortwhile exploring the options.  Importers such as Bundesvan will handle the importation and registration etc of new or used vans, you can go to see the actual van with them, agree a price, and they'll deliver it to your front door taxed and UK registered.  Even having paid their costs you will still achieve a substantial saving over the equivalent RHD van bought in UK.  Have a look at their website on www.bundesvan.co.uk, for an idea of the service on offer.

Archived