Lafuma Chairs Fault.

Hymer C 9.

This year at the NEC (Feb) we bought 2 Lafuma reclining heat sealed chairs, as they were the lightest although certainly not the cheapest around. Foolishly I have lost the receipt though now tracking it through our Credit Card, (I thought Lafuma supposed to be one of the best) WRONG by the middle of May both chairs had come undone on the seams of the seat and the back, and while in Spain had to spend a afternoon trying to sew them not the best thing on a hot afternoon, as you can imagine on various camp sites seeing people with the same chairs, found we are not alone with this problem, and at the Malvern show asked different stalls about it and apparently its a fault that Lafuma are aware of. We sent a E Mail to Lafuma in early June about this fault which has been totally ignored.. Any suggestions. Carol.

Hi

Clive was repairing one of his Lafuma chairs at Malvern, his cording had broken and I think he had resorted to fixing it with wire! What is the cording made of? Could you replace it with another type of cording/elastic etc? If so, try a haberdashers or sewing supplies shop.

Not having them myself - they seem very expensive to me, plus we have a couple of very good reclining chairs already that only cost £11.75 each!

I did notice when we went into Malvern that Woolworths of all places were selling some chairs off in their sale very cheaply and they looked to be of good quality and very light, also Somerfield also had something similar, I think for £14.99.

Wire! Come on , I am an engineer! They were CABLE TIES.

I agree, La Fuma seem to have slipped in the quality ratings in recent years. We have a la Fuma table from circa 1973 and its still perfect, some folding chairs circa 1980 and they are still perfect but the very comfortable recliners we purchased just 2 years back at York use some elasticated cord to connect the fabric to the sides, this breaks. I have already had one free set of cords from the stand that sold the chairs to us and they did not quibble. They seem to go at the same places - points of maximum stress so having tied off the broken elastic I added some cable ties at this maximum stress point. Seems OK so far!.

How,s the Cruise Control mel?

XX

Clive

There's that old saying:

"You get what you pay for."

True - you do get exactly what you pay for. But that no longer means that paying MORE gives you better.

Everything now is production engineered down to the last 0.1 cent to ensure it is as simple and cheap to make as possible. Somewhere in that process quality ends up a 'second best'.

Thanks, though, for the Lafuma tip - was considering purchase but definitely now off list!

Mel E

====

On the subject of keeping receipts an insurance agent mate of mine told me that it helps if you make up a page with the deatials showing where you bought stuff, how much and when, then clip each recipt to it's relevent entry. Then when/if your gear needs replacing because of loss or damage you know exactly when, where and how much you paid.

A bit anal I grant you, but we have done it and it does help!

Archived