Sevel X250 windscreen wiper drain hole

Old Git

We have the new Sevel X250 base vehicle, which I must say is excellent in most respects, but there are a few dreadful design faults - e.g.,

I recently noticed a small lake around the driver's side (RHD) windscreen wiper shaft, almost covering the whole of the shaft where it enters the scuttle. Obviously a blocked drain hole, so I poked around with a twig (as one does) and achieved nothing. When parked the wiper arm covers the recess below it and I couldn't find the drain hole with my twig.

I eventually parked the wiper blades at the far right of their travel (by quickly switching off the ignition) and was then able to find the drain hole. It is all of 2mm across, and is absolutely guaranteed to block at frequent intervals with leaves and road dirt. I would think it should be at least 10mm across, and even then it needs only one leaf to block it completely.

Other threads have highlighted the wider problem of water ingress into the engine compartment, and it appears that a retro-fit modification is on the way. If this takes the form of a new one-piece scuttle moulding, the wiper drain holes may have been enlarged. Otherwise, and in the meantime, I would suggest that owners regularly check to ensure that their wiper shaft is not sitting under water.

Has anyone solved the problem - by drilling out the hole maybe, as it's only a plastic moulding?

Archived