What's your view?

LordThornber

Charles and I were 'tuggers' for years and the amount of stuff we used to carry - just because we could - was incredible.

We still have things in the cupboards that we don't use on regular basis - as I still like to carry them 'just in case'

We would never go back to the caravan, the freedom we get with the mh is fantastic.

Carol

... depends which way I'm looking? ;-) Sorry, someone had to say it! (lol)

Back to the plot, I've just had a good sortie of our motorhome, I've taken out the pizza oven (electric grill) thing simply because for our last 2 main holidays we didn't need it as we rarely stay on sites and if I do get electric hook-up (free on an aire in France!) I just use the electric hob I've got and stick a pan on top. I still carry a small travel kettle and toaster though they it takes up very little room and are light.

I've also ditched the baby buggy that we carted around as well - why a baby buggy? One of our dogs has a gammy leg and couldn't walk very well on some days, now though I've got a nice little pull along shopping trolley with a removable bag so it doubles up as a dog pull-alonger (cusion in bottom for him to sit on otherwise all you can see are his ears!) and can also do duty as a cassette toilet tote as well, not to mention lugging shopping around. I've also got a lightweight baby papoose back-pack thing which the dog fits in when we're out walking over rough ground and he gets tired (poor old sod .. he's only 7!). *-)

We do carry 2 sets of screens, one internal and one external, as my hubby says we might need them both ... in this UK summer! B-)

So, to others, what things have you removed that you always took around with you ... and why?

Mel B - 2007-08-16 7:36 PM

Oh, and of course the caravan with several hanging baskets in the UK.

Mel B

(1 AES fridge/freezer - large fridge and good sized separate freezer compartment!) :D

Seen a caravan at Roundhills in the New Forest on more than one occasion with Hanging basckets and potted plants around the awning :-D

Seen one at Hollands Wood intall a chain link fence round his van to let the dogs run around in (was asked to take it down by the wardens).

The main reason we went the motorhome route apart from not wanting to tug was for the quick setup and packup times, accordingly we only carry what we need for outside use, so only have four chairs, a table and a windbreak in case required.

Mel B - 2007-08-19 5:03 PM

So, to others, what things have you removed that you always took around with you ... and why?

We've left out the Gazebo we occasionally used to use for shade when we stayed on site any length of time (it was better than an awning, as it always cast a useful shadow SOMEWHERE, no matter where the sun was). But it was so big and heavy, we decided to leave it and rely on a parasol if we really needed the shade - which this "summer" we rarely did!

On one site in Alsace, we saw a few caravans with upvc extensions instead of awanings. These were proper "tourers," medium-sized with number plates etc, but were obviously staying for a while!

Tony

Guest caraprof
LordThornber - 2007-08-21 9:41 AM Well, going slightly off thread, I think the grass strimming takes some beating, even knocking the floodlights into the proverbial cocked hat :D

I don't wish to appear to be a little risque but some years ago my wife bought one of those high-cut swimsuits and decided that she would have do a little shaving in the, ahem, sensitive area. She ruined my flipping strimmer!

Archived