Caravan Europe 1

Guest ajd3

I was thinking about buying the above title from the Caravan Club as it has been recommended a number of times on the forum. I went online to order it, but It seems you have to be amember of the CC to get access to the bookshop. At £35 per year to be a member of something I don't want to be a member of just to get a publication strikes me as being a bit steep. Can anyone advise me where else I can get a copy of Caravan Europe 1 (2007 edition). We're off to France at the beginning of September so have a couple of weeks to get it.

Thanks in advance

Hi ajd3,

You can purchase frome here

see 10th item down

http://www.vicarious-shop.co.uk/category.php?c_id=2

However I believe they are available from the CC at normal non member price if you phone them, members get them cheaper however not saving the membership fee (but there are of course other money saving offers that far outweigh the membership fee).

Bas

Guest caraprof

I agree with Basil. As far as I'm aware these books are available to non-members. Just dig a little deeper and I'm sure you'll find a way of buying one.

These are to my mind, the finest site books available for Europe. All reports are written by members so there's non of the hype that you get in paid-for site adverts.

There's even the odd Aire and Stellplatz creeping in now as members send in the reports. These are listed as 'only suitable for motorhomes'.

Thanks folks,

I had a look on Amazon but would prefer an up-to-date version. We're new to this motorhome lark (first time away in it this weekend) and never driven abroad - hey it'll be exciting . . . or fun . . . well, an experience anyway :-D

I don't know anyone who is a member of the CC, we are members of the Camping & Caravan Club 'cos my folks are and they got us the membership. i'll probably order the book from the other website.

BTW this is a fantastic forum, I've looked at lots of threads as research for our trip.

It is possible for anyone to buy this book via the CC website, not just CC members.

Enter CC website, click on 'Shop', select 'Club products' from the list on the left of the page, then trundle down the range of items that are presented until you find the right one. Cost is stated as £15.99 including UK delivery.

It might be worth you using your membership of the clubs to look at booking your ferry tickets through them. We saved a fair bit by using the CC&C system to get via Calais.

Oh, and the book is well worth the money anyway if you are going to Western Europe. We only got it because of a reccommendation on this site and we were glad we took the advice.

Enjoy your trip.

I agree with Caraprof that these are by far the best available. No names of course, but some of the other more 'famous' ones are rubbish by comparison. We used the CC ones extensively on a recent trip to Venice, and found the descriptions etc. to be spot on.

One note of caution however, they come as a two volume set, and you need to check carefully which countries are covered in each volume if you are going border-hopping. For example, France is in one volume and Italy is in the other. They have to draw the line somewhere of course, but not always where you might have liked it.

Sorry I can't be more precise as I've lent our copies to a neighbour. That's an even better way of getting hold of them!!

Oh, and don't bother too much about getting the very latest edition. Even that will be at least a year out of date by the time it reaches the bookshops, and they don't change very much from year to year anyway.

Dont forget to pop into the first large supermarket when you get to france and buy the FFCC Guide Official with over 10 000 camp sites and I tend to use this more than the cc guide altho. I have sent several sites to the CC from the FFCC book when I have tried them out. Next year for instance £4 gets me close to the sea at Mimesan in the Landes region including leccky and v. nice owners wash m/c 2 eurines and not in CC book.

Thanks Alec. Didn't know about the FFCC Guide. I shall make a point of getting a copy next time we go.

Also worth a look at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtompoi.php. Loads of categories (including campsites) for many European countries, and all free. It's aimed at Tom Tom, but the csv files can be easily nudged in Excel to suit Garmin, and probably most other GPS systems.

Archived