Motorhoming among the 'Travellers'

Charlieme

Last week we stayed at Sixpenny Handley in Dorset. Many staying on site were potential weekend visitors to a music festival nearby.

They included a small (pretty mobile) group with a caravan and what might be termed a Motorhome (more what I would term as 'a crappy old bus')

Towing the caravan was what looked like a builders truck, but was more akin to their worldly posessions.

So, like all the other M/home fraternity who so insist that they love one another by waving merrily at total strangers as they pass, I sat down and joined them.

We discussed many subjects, such as my pet dislike of old people, the past summer's events like Glastonbury, and their rewards in life etc.

They were some of the nicest young folk one could meet who were simply doing there own thing by camping in a field.

As we left the site in our new A Class their wave was worth a dozen others.

Agreed - As they say - You can't judge a book by its cover.

Over many happy years of M/homing we have met folk in do it yourself old busses and others in mega bucks yank 'vans and have taken equal pleasure in their company. We have also met people in both cheap and expensive 'vans who we would rather not meet again.

When we first started our annual pilgrimege to the winter sun we were the youngsters. Over the last couple of years we have seen more and more young people who have been disillusioned by the lack of security of tenure in their jobs and said so be it we will let out the house and travel in an old banger. Good luck to 'em I say and my only regret is that I didn't start out on our pastime a lot earlier.

Archived