Motorhome DIY Wire-Free Alarm

Ian_R

Having been woken at 3:30 am a couple of months ago to find a 2 or 3 burglars in the house we are currently renting, who were searching for the keys to our cars and probably the motorhome on the drive, I've fitted a Yale wire-free remote controlled alarm (from B&Q) to the house.

This has set me thinking about the security on the motorhome. Not for theft of the vehicle (a Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd 2003 Burstner 747), because that is protected by the factory fit immobiliser, but for us when we are inside it. I would also like to achieve this without putting holes everywhere.

I'm therefore considering using one of these cordless kits for the motorhome, putting switches on the habitation area doors and cab doors, a PIR sensor in the cab and a PIR sensor in the garage area, at a cost of around £150.

I would fit the battery powered control unit and alarm unit inside the van, and although the unit has a small solar panel to charge it I would connect it to the leisure batteries (we have a solar panel on the roof) with a converter to take the voltage down to 7.5V. I will also include some "dummy" flashing LED's (£5 from Maplin) and "alarm fitted" warning signs.

I've also considered the subject of electrical interference; of course I'm only going to use it when the motorhome is parked, but the transmission frequencies of the remote for the alarm and the alarm units are the same as used for conventional car-alarms, and there are loads of these units on the outside of houses which don't cause passing traffic any problems.

I cannot see any disadvantages whatsoever with this. Can anyone see any flaws in my plan?

Only to observe that so many "false" alarms go off these days that people tend to ignore them. They are a damned nuisance in our immediate area as we are subject to frequent brief power interruptions which set off several local alarms every time it happens. Therefore we and our neighbours have become habituated to alarm sirens in the night, and simply mutter an appropriate obscenity and try to go back to sleep.

However, I am pondering the same problem as you Ian, and for a similar outlay I wonder if a hefty wheel clamp might be a better investment. It would not protect the contents of the M/H of course, but I would guess that most tea-leaves would be more interested in pinching a 40 grand vehicle than rummaging around inside it on the off chance of finding something worth the risk.

What do others think -

I'm only realy looking for something to wake us up when we are asleep in the van and there is an intruder.

I'd rather leave the keys in the ignition every night than have them in the house near my wife and daughters.

Ian

I use the battery operated remote controlled stand alone units [about £5] and I put one in the cab and 2 in the van living area. I also have the individual window/door alarms [£1 from local poundshop] and they can be arranged so that trips to loo in the night dont cause any surprises. If your windows can be opened by a right-angled piece of wire inserted under the catch from outside drill the catch handle and fit a ring and lock them down with simple brass cabinet locks [about £1 for 3]

I use one of these alarms for my outbuildings and it has been very reliable, except when the 'bell box' gets low on power ( an overcast day around shortest day, switched on and off several times, with an easterly facing panel) then it will give a false alarm, we now try not to turn on and off too many times in one day and its been fine.

My only qualm would be the fitting of PIR's, had a lot of problems in past with them, I know they are suposed to be better nowadays but I would try to stick with contacts.

Ian_R - 2007-08-17 9:02 AM

This has set me thinking about the security on the motorhome. Not for theft of the vehicle (a Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd 2003 Burstner 747), because that is protected by the factory fit immobiliser, but for us when we are inside it. I would also like to achieve this without putting holes everywhere.

Travel with a bull terrier

I have posted this before but for personal security I bought a cheap diy reversing alarm(sensor) I have mounted the receiver unit on the dash where it can be seen from outside my motor,so as anyone who approaches can see the flashing lights, and WE can hear the alarm inside...

I have mounted one sensor to cover offside and one to cover nearside,No one can get within 10ft now.. The only trouble is it will squeek !! at the odd bird or bat that flies past :D :D

Archived