Trip to Italy

Tomo3090

Hi there! We are in the initial stages of planning a trip through France and on to Italy from the begining of March next year. Is anyone likely to be doing the same?

We not looking to travel together all the way there but to meet up at places and swap tips and ideas of places to see.

We also need info on sites and places NOT to go to!

You can e-mail me or use the forum.

Thanks

Thought of ending up in Italy or Spain next year. Have not made any plans yet. I'm going to France at the end of the month to tour for a while and still havn't decided my itinery for that.

Please feel free to e.mail me or use the forum to let us all know where we can call for a cuppa.

Clive.

Have you considered going through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland or Austria? Avoids all the nasty French Tolls and in my opinion the scenery is nicer. The choice of Switzerland or Austria depends which part of Italy you plan to visit.

A really lovely part of Italy is Sicily. The isle of Elba is also worth a visit.

Phil.

We've been to Italy earlier this year, and have two tips to pass on -

1. If you like driving through tunnels accompanied by heavy lorries, then the route to Pisa around the Gulf of Genoa is for you. Ther must be a hundred tunnels along this Motorway (it felt that way to me, the driver) and I found it very tiring.

2. All over Italy they are doing work to widen/improve Motorways to cater for the vastly increased number of lorries from Eastern Europe coutries following their entry to the EEC. The route across the North via Milan and Turin was a nightmare for 150 to 200 miles, and they still charge the full Toll! I'm told the route to the South of these cities via Cremona is quieter.

Have a good trip.

Neil B

Guest JudgeMental
Philman - 2007-08-17 4:10 PM

Have you considered going through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland or Austria? Avoids all the nasty French Tolls and in my opinion the scenery is nicer. The choice of Switzerland or Austria depends which part of Italy you plan to visit.

Phil.

Just got back from Italy, we went this route and came back more directly through France. A nice change from France,friendlier and better value for money in our opinion as well.

Have to agree with Philman and JudgeMental.

We always go this way. It has many advantages IMHO; No high toll charges in France, cheaper diesel in Luxembourg (0.92Euros a litre) and Austria (1.05Euros a litre), free and relatively safe camping at any Car Park/Autohof/Stellplatze in Germany...

On the downside is the state of the free A26 (?) from Calais to Lille and Belgian motorways in general.

I can recommend the route via Soissons and Troyes, avoiding the autoroutes, then Dijon, Bourge-en-Bresse, Grenoble, Gap and Barcelonnette, over the Col de Larche, then to Cuneo and Asti. You then have the choice of Autostrada or SS rods to Piacenza, from where you can go South along the Adriatic coast, or East to Venice. The SS roads are generally best avoided, particularly the SS1 along the West coast and the SS16 along the Adriatic coast.

Brian

Thanks people! Don't really "do" toll roads in France. Tried it once and didn't like the cost! We much prefer to take the non-toll roads. Much prettier, better scenery and you get to stop in French villages where they sell FANTASTIC cakes! Oh and it's the law, you have to buy them!

We are hoping to go for about 4-5 months in all and just meander down through France, possibly call in to Spain, back through France then go downone side of Italy and come back up t'other.

WE thought about the Germany/ Austria bit but have I read somewhere that Switzerland is a pain at border crossings because it's not in the EU, or did I dream it?

Not heard that one about Switzerland before. I have been through yhe borders many times in different vehicles and never had any trouble. Was there 2 years ago in my camper van and did not even have to go to the office for my vignette. The border guard did the formalities through the passenger window.

The only aggro I have seen is a coach dirver trying to beat the system by changing the reg. of the vehicle on his multi use pass to the vehicle he was driving. He had been driving another coach previously and it should have been left on that vehicle. The gaurds were not very happy and he and the passengers nearly did not get into the country.

2 years ago they had an eastern european spreadeagled against the office wall whilst they searched him.

Clive

Guest JudgeMental
Tomo3090 - 2007-08-19 12:01 PM

What's a "vignette?! You see it is more complicated! (lol)

Err... no. at the border you pay 35 euro ish for a sticker valid for a year. which includes free motorway access and tunnels. French tunnel costs more then this on its own....

Tomo3090 - 2007-08-19 12:01 PM

What's a "vignette?! You see it is more complicated! (lol)

If you're no more than 3500kg MAM, then the vignettes required for both Switzerland and Austria should be no deterrent to passing through these countries (though preferably slowly, as there is so much to see). I would personally champion the route through these two under those circumstances.

For Switzerland you will need a vignette for the *motorways* (it is possible to avoid them, but I personally wouldn't recommend the back streets of Geneva in a large van - been there, done that). Easy to obtain at the border, though if you're over 3500kg MAM, you need paperwork to use *any* roads, somewhat more time-consuming to obtain, though, AFAIK, it is possible to save over the vignette required below that weight (it being annual) by buying 10 day documentation.

For Austria, you will need a vignette for Motorways, *and* an ever increasing number of main roads. They really are making it more difficult to live without them. Easy to obtain at borders, petrol stations and post offices, and not particularly expensive as you can buy for varying periods of validity. If you're over 3500kg, however, the dreaded 'Go Box' is required for these roads, considerably more time-consuming to obtain and set up, somewhat awkward for non-Austrian nationals to keep topped-up with value, and relatively expensive. Frankly as my van falls into this category, it has been enough to put me off Austria, after many very happy breaks there (though Switzerland is still on the Agenda).

It is, however, (or at least was) by diligent route-planning, possible to get from Italy to Germany and vice versa via Innsbruck without any extra Austrian payment if you happen to be simply passing through (and you can avoid the Brenner Motorway toll as well by using the old road).

We visit Switzerland every year entering thro' the border at Basle (Basel/Bale) on the way in from Colmar with our Elddis/Autohome 3:4 tonne unit. Since 1997 we have never been subjected to any hold up by the Border Guards although on one occasion we were asked as to where we were heading. (on that trip we were passing thro' to Italy!)

Regards, Mike & Cherry.

I agree with Tomo, why use the toll roads if you are not in a hurry?

The vignette is not needed in Switzerland if you don't use the motorways. Since retiring and no longer being tied to the 2 weeks holiday limit, I have never bought a vignette. You don't get stopped at the border and the roads are fine. Perhaps Geneva is the exception (I have never tried it) but I have driven a few times through Lausanne and Montreux without any problems. Montreux during the jazz festival is great.

Brian

Hi,

Cheapest route to Switzerland without causing extended journey times.....

Calais, Dunkerque, Lille, Tournai, Mons, Charleroi, Arlon, Luxemourg, direction Metz then take the D955 towards Chatea Salins, joining the N4 towards Phalsbourg. Join the A4 motorway heading east for one junction and then leave heading for Saverne. Follow signs for Molsheim and then Colmar, Mulhouse and Basle. Only one euro in toll fees and the route is the less distance than "motoway all the way."

Fill up with diesel in Luxembourg at about 60pence equivalent per litre.

The Swiss motorway pass can be ordered on line at www.myswitzerland.com and is valid for vehicles upto 3500 kg. Vehicles in excess of this are charged at different rates and this is payable in Switzerland.

Ciao ciao

BrianR - 2007-08-19 4:29 PM

I agree with Tomo, why use the toll roads if you are not in a hurry?

The vignette is not needed in Switzerland if you don't use the motorways. Since retiring and no longer being tied to the 2 weeks holiday limit, I have never bought a vignette. You don't get stopped at the border and the roads are fine. Perhaps Geneva is the exception (I have never tried it) but I have driven a few times through Lausanne and Montreux without any problems. Montreux during the jazz festival is great.

Brian

Forgive me if I sound a bit on the dim side, (I am not normally!), but I cannot think of a way to get from, say, Basle to Interlaken without using ,at some point, a Swiss M/way as they just change from roads to M/ways in most cases, surely?

Regards, Mike.

As I don't "believe" in tolls or vignettes, we did Basle to Interlaken last summer on normal roads.

OK, if you're not in a hurry but I'm not sure I'd recommend it, if you like speeding through the countryside.

It's Corsica next year for us and having said that I don't believe in vignettes, owing to our experience last summer, for once I'll be doing Basle - Milano on the motorway!

Guest JudgeMental
and we did basle to interlaken via rhine falls last month with no tolls either. just paid for vigenette on return journey via milan/lugano/gothard tunnel/basel

Hi after lots of advice from the forum we bought our Hymer last April and within 3 wks husband retiring and having never owned a motorhome or drove one set off for 6month tour of europe. Our one goal was Sicily and headed off through France via Mont blanc into Italy, with various maps GPS and sites info made it down to Sicily and spent 4/5 wks touring. Then returning via Puglia and Sibari over to Pompei, then Rome, Florence, Venice Lake Magg and Orta then back into France eventually over to north west Spain to Renanta, back into France more touring eventually returning home no major mishaps apart from running out of gas, water pump for taps shower etc going early but we managed. A lot of our friends relatives thought we were a bit crazy for going so far for our first journey but we learnt as we travelled and fellow travellers are helpful. I would advise anyone to do it and do not plan as you find you stumble on some fab places. I wrote a daily journal as we travelled and hope to continue next year when we are planning another journey, we have just returned from a 4wk tour of France using Aires this time as we only used a few last year, found some really good ones and safe and wish we had the same in this country. Thinking of going either to costas or Portugal for winter and also Sardinia in April will be wanting advice from you fellow travellers as without the last advice you all gave we wouldnt have done it keep up the good work. (lol) :->

Not so. If you take the Nº18 from Basle to Delémont, then the Nº6 from there to Bern and Thun and Interlaken, none of this is motorway. The confusion is, perhaps, that between Berne and Thun the A6 motorway run alongside the ordinary road. This happens in quite a few areas and if you are not carefull the road appears to continue as amotorway - you have to consciously turn off onto the ordinary road.

Perhaps a larger scale road atlas is needed to pick these out.

Brian

Archived