REFILLABLE LPG GAS BOTTLES

maureend

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2007-08-22 5:00 PM

Unless of course you ran mainly on electricity and did not use gas.

Bas

Correct Basil, I have Truma EH so little gas used. So for a little cooking and mainly barbeque (I have a barbecue point fitted)

But we eat out most of the time

MTH bottles, so individual gauges on top of both which I believe are more reliable then gaslow type. I followed there advice and leave both open...

maybe I will try one on & one off.

I am sure we will start using more it if we go to the Alps for Christmas.

But there are other things I could spend nearly £600 on. like a new laptop & awning :-D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Judge and Handy,

Yes and our Gaslows cost under £150 DIY, so that shows the difference and why they are now in profit along with lots of use as we avoid electricity and use gas for most things.

Already got the laptop etc. so just save the profit! :-) :-) :-)

Bas

Guest caraprof
JudgeMental - 2007-08-22 1:38 PM My problems with poor twin bottle installation has been aired on here previously.... I have been away for 2 long weekends, one week to Brittany and 4 weeks to Italy. and gauge on bottles has hardly moved. I really think these systems are only worthwhile for people who are getting away for long periods all year round. Otherwise a waste of money *-)

A waste of money? What a silly statement to make! You might as well say that your motorhome is a waste of money because you can buy a caravan for a third of the price or a tent for even less. These other items allow us to sleep away from home and have holidays but of course give differing standards of convenience. We make our decision as to how much we pay for the convenience that we want.

A caravanner may well put up a strong argument that your motorhome is a total waste of money as you've probably got a car standing on the drive, so why be so stupid as to pay £40K for another motor vehicle when you can spend £15K and have something that could well have more space in it? Somehow, I think that you'd disagree.

For me, my Gaslow system means no driving down to the Calor supplier and lugging heavy cylinders. No having to dispose of a cylinder that's still a third full because I want to go on my long holiday with full cylinders. No grazing my knuckles screwing and unscrewing regulators.

Waste of money? Not for me and from the experiences of many other members of this forum, not for them either!

I think that people should be allowed to make up their own minds as to what constitutes a waste of money!

Guest JudgeMental

Calm down chaps, opinion only from my perspective. and as I said cost justified if I start to use the stuff. and from maureend's initial post "off to Praque and down to Greece for the winter" off course it makes sense.

Handyman, what’s with this repeatedly calling me Mentaljudge - sarcasm masquerading as humor? or maybe your dyslexic.....

This is a friendly forum and we are all on first name terms. Mine is Eddie, but then you know that but choose not to use it.

why not call yourself 'eddie' instead of judgmental then? Your real name isnt in a signiture, so you are judgemental *-)

Some things you say, i feel are a bit mental, so if the cap fits........... (lol) take it easy old boy, its just a bit of fun, but if your upset, then sorry.

Guest JudgeMental

less of the old and please refrain from trying to tell me what to do

at least I am polite and have the common decency to use a name?

if yo want to play with the big boys behave yourself. ;-)

Awe, Judge, I always call you Judge, that's the 'nick name' I know you by and to me that's a nice 'fun' name, but if you want I'll start calling you Eddie as well but it just isn't the same as Judge, it's a bit too, well, 'normal'. (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

I'm Mel B simply because when I first signed up to the forum I couldn't think of anything else, although, from our fun tete-a-tete postings on other threads I have signed up to another forum as 'Minx'. ;-)

Now tell me .... where are the big boys! 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2007-08-23 6:06 PM

Now tell me .... where are the big boys! 8-)

Most away on holiday I guess....

you and Michele will always be my pair of Minx's :-D

Hey Mel!, just saw you in the flesh so to speak on Michele's excellent thread. Get rid of the old fella - and lets get dis party started :-D

Be still my beating heart...

• 6 months later...

Well, I knew the subject had been discussed in depth earlier & I wanted the details for myself & I could see that some others had started a thread on the same subject.

If I'm now going to be bullied for using my initiative.......I'll tell the Mod's.

If anyone is interested.

There is a pair of 6kg Gaslows (1 and 2), used on one trip apparently on, E-bay. Have only 7hours left to end of auction and the bidding stands at £100 at present, could be a good buy for someone who is thinking of getting them them as that is a saving of £70 on current cheapest price.

Search on item 290212007926

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
davenewell@home - 2008-03-04 9:25 PM

But why bother? :D

D.

Dave my feelings exactly, but as an update van and gas system nearly 12 months old and I have used about half of original fill that it was supplied with.

I will top up next time I pass a garage selling autogas or should I wait until I go to france at Easter - is it cheaper in France?

I presume in France it is available on motorway service stations?

JudgeMental - 2008-03-09 2:24 PM

I will top up next time I pass a garage selling autogas or should I wait until I go to france at Easter - is it cheaper in France?

No, along with Unleaded Petrol, LPG is dearer in France, it's only Diesel that is cheaper because their government subsidises their transport system.

Bas

JudgeMental - 2008-03-09 2:24 PM

yes, at all the motorways stations as far as i could see.............you need the french adaptor for the gaslow system for filling, dont know about other systems

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks chaps!, I have the 3 adapters which I got with refillable system....

much dearer - as it would be more convenient to do in France

Hi Judge,

Suggest you look at one of Don's magic links see

http://www.zagaz.com/index.php

and look at the areas where you are considering filling up. Personally I would fill up in the UK as I want to only have Propane in my cylinders if possible, I only top up abroad when I run out.

Bas

P.S. Looking at the link it looks as if our prices for Unleaded have moved slightly ahead again in some areas though LPG is still somewhat dearer.

There seems to be an issue in below freezing temperatures.

UK autogas Propane 100%

France & Spain 35% Propane & rest Butane mix

Italy 25% Propane rest butane.

Germany better 90% Propane 10% Butane

I am just about to have MTH aluminum cylinders installed on 19th. Not sure if I can get two bottles in gas locker or not. However in light of above issues when refilling abroad would it be best to keep a 1x6kg Calor Propane cylinder? ( I can get 1x13kg Calor Propane & 1x 6kg into gas locker).

I have read that gas appliances haven't worked below freezing due to people filling up abroad and ending up with a lot of Butane in their refillable cylinders, ok in summer but not winter.

Guest JudgeMental

I will def fill up here then, in fact have found a garage 3 miles away that does it.I thought aluminum bottles were not recommended because of corrosion issues, they are incredibly light though......

I haven't heard of corrosion issues.

I would of course fill up before leaving UK but if one needs to refill abroad ,which is the whole idea of having the refillable bottles for ease whilst abroad. Then it looks like problems in below freezing conditions, as the more you fill the less propane is in the bottle.

Archived