Cassette toilette!

Vixhall

Hello

Being a bit new to this whole motorcaravanning thing i am hoping that someone with a brain may be able to help me with my 'powder room.

When we went away for a weekend recently having topped up the cassette with the correct chemicals/water and tried to flush using the large circular twisting knob lots of black 'bits' came out. There is no nasty smell or anything but i don't know if it's ok to leave the chemicals in when the van is left standing or should i empty it out every time (which would be a nightmare as we go away for weekends mostly). Please can anyone tell me what is going wrong

'black bits' are a specialty of Aquakem, who then sell you a cleaner to get rid of them!! good racket what *-) *-)

we use T-Blett tablets, don't have any added black bits - and empty at least every other day - depending on weather, usage, and travel requirements.

Clean it out by adding washing capsules to loo with warm water and then drive around like ian idiot to get lots of soapy water sloshing about.

try not to add bleach to clean - septic tanks don't like it.

we usually leave it ready to go.

emptying is one of the worst aspects of camping for sure - so, use camp facilities were possible - and try to use the van loo for the water rather than solids. actually the more you empty it the easier it is - not much in it and it doesn't stink!!

welcome to the linatic asylum and the world of campers

B-)

The 'black bits' forming in the flush tank is a well known issue. (I assume you have the version with the separately fillable flush tank?). Whilst it might be a bit unsightly, it's not really of any further concern.

In theory, Thetford's Pink additive is supposed to inhibit algae build up, but there appears to be a question mark about this.

People appear to have corrected the issue via various cleansing solutions, including Milton and Thetford's own products.

A quick Google will give you numerous hits.

I've suffered myself in the past, but current 'van doesn't have the separate flush tank.

Thank you mr Robin Hood - the problem is in the tank where you add the pink liquid - i'm relieved to hear that it's algae rather than anything else!

Will go and buy Milton's directly!!!! :-D

BTW my baby is a herald squire (2000) we've just got back from a trip to Bideford and are off to Soputhern Ireland next Weds (with Milton's!) and we are LOVING it!!!

Vicki ;-)

Vixhall:

From what I recall, Thetford's "Aqua Rinse" pink additive used to cause black 'bits' to form in toilet flush-water reservoirs and these bits then showed up in the toilet-bowl when the toilet was flushed. Thetford acknowledged this and (apparently!) revised the Aqua Rinse formula. As Robinhood says, the black bits are unsightly but otherwise harmless.

(By the way, this has nothing at all to do with the chemicals ("Aqua Kem" and the like) that are intended to be put in the toilet's waste-cassette.)

It sounds like your Thetford toilet is a bench type, so you should be able to get at the interior of its flush-water reservoir by (carefully) pulling out the inside of its toilet-paper storage compartment. This should allow you to clean out the reservoir including any muck that's in it. Otherwise, you could just keep flushing it and hope that the black bits will eventually stop coming through.

Assuming you are asking whether you can you leave "Aqua Rinse" (or a similar rinse-agent concoction) indefinitely in your toilet's flush-water reservoir, then the answer is Yes. (Of course you don't HAVE to use a rinse-agent if you don't want to.)

I don't think you were asking whether you can leave "Aqua Kem" (or a similar toilet-cassette chemical) indefinitely in an otherwise-empty waste-cassette, but the answer is also Yes.

Obviously you'll want to empty your toilet's waste-cassette between your weekend outings.

(Suggest you avoid Milton as (at least in high concentration) it's caustic to metal. I've never heard of anyone using it in a toilet flush-tank and I'm pretty sure Thetford would advise against it. Probably better to use a 'proper' fresh-water tank cleaning substance if you are going to use anything.)

Derek Uzzell - 2007-08-18 9:56 AM

(Suggest you avoid Milton as (at least in high concentration) it's caustic to metal. I've never heard of anyone using it in a toilet flush-tank and I'm pretty sure Thetford would advise against it. Probably better to use a 'proper' fresh-water tank cleaning substance if you are going to use anything.)

Derek,

you may well be correct, and I certainly wouldn't advise putting anything more than a small amount of Milton in (and only to clear the stuff out, not as a general everyday addition).

I was relying on my memory of what people had used when the issue was rife, and further research indicates that people have used Miton to fix it.

However, you are correct in that Thetford sell a specific Toilet Water Tank Cleaner which is reputed also to work - so if its a matter of playing safe, that's probably what to go for.

It's best to stick to the Thetford brand product to clean the flush tank. Other chemicals can have a bad effect on the blade valve seal. I have used their flush tank cleaner since it was first introduced and it is effective if you leave it in for a couple of days, and drive around a bit to swish it round inside. The current pink flush liquid may be an improved version, but you still need to flush the reservoir out twice a year with the cleaner, if you use the 'van all year.

Brian

BrianR - 2007-08-18 4:40 PM

It's best to stick to the Thetford brand product to clean the flush tank. Other chemicals can have a bad effect on the blade valve seal. I have used their flush tank cleaner since it was first introduced and it is effective if you leave it in for a couple of days, and drive around a bit to swish it round inside. The current pink flush liquid may be an improved version, but you still need to flush the reservoir out twice a year with the cleaner, if you use the 'van all year.

Brian

I too had 'Black bits' syndrome, from the flush tank with Thetfords own brand of pink liquid, I have changed to Elsan blue liquid for the cassette and their pink flush liquid for the flush tank,since then the problem has(slowly) dissapeared. I think that the original Thetford 'pink' didn't have a strong enough anti-bacterial agent and if left for a few weeks or months the 'Bits' developed. The Elsan stuff is guranteed Not to damage seals etc.,

I have considered a SOG loo, but the 'Mrs' said NO WAY ! so, it has to be chemicals.

Rayjsj:

Personally, if I had Black Bit Plague, I'd be tempted to fill the toilet's flush-reservoir with a strongish citric acid solution and leave it for a couple of days. That's what Thetford recommend for safely cleaning the muck from the interior of toilet-cassettes and it certainly works. After that I wouldn't bother to use a rinse agent.

You should overrule your good lady's protestations about the SOG cassette ventilation product. I was a hard-liner sceptic once, but, having installed a SOG in my Hobby, I've now become an ardent evangelist for the system. More importantly my wife is equally enthusiastic! Although not cheap at around £80 (plus fitting charges if you don't DIY) I consider this the most genuinely beneficial thing I've added to my motorhome. We'd NEVER want to return to using toilet-cassette chemicals.

Vixhall:

Are you a member of the Compass & Herald Motorhome Club? If not, you might consider joining (contact details in MMM's "From the Clubs" section) as that's where Herald-related expertise is nowadays.

Hi tomo

Yep you just use the loo and flush with water.

We have fitted SOGs to each of our 'vans and they eventually save their cost back as you don't use chemicals. How soon will depend on how much you use your 'van / loo. We spend about 7 months of the year in ours and soon save the cost.

As Dave said he empties the cassette daily and it makes for a lot lighter chore than waiting till it is full.

And the best thing about the SOG is, as the fan is always extracting air to the outside whilst the toilet is in use, - no pongs in the 'van!

Over the years we have bought many accessories - many are in the loft either unused or used once but the SOG is the best accessory we have bought bar none.

• 4 weeks later...

Just following up to my original reply - I note that Thetford actually *recommend* Milton for clening the flush tank!

Following extract from their FAQs on their website:

"For thorough cleaning of the flush-water tank of mobile toilets, we recommend our customers use ordinary Milton cleansing fluid.

Dose 50ml of Milton cleansing fluid per 15 litres of flush water. Add directly into the flush-water tank and fill with clean water. Leave the solution in the tank for 24 - 48 hours, depending on the degree of contamination. Empty the tank by draining or flushing into an empty, clean waste holding tank. Rinse the flush-water and waste holding tanks thoroughly with clean water. Always empty the waste holding tank at a designated location. Do not use together with other products. Depending on the degree of contamination a second treatment may be required.

Note: Incorrect use or dosage could cause damage to seals and the level indicator. In case of doubt, reduce the dosage. "

Guest starspirit

NEVER use bleach.

It will bu##er up the blade seal and maybe the other seals too.

These are quite expensive for what they are and a bit of a fiddle to fit in some cases.

Even worse is discovering you have an unsealable loo whilst camped some way from the nearest spare parts stockist. It gets worse as not all stockists carry the full range of seals.

I would never use any cleaning agent not recommended by Thetford as the inconvenience is just not worth the possible cost savings.

Vigorous swishing about and washing out with fresh water each time you empty the loo will usually keep it pristine and I usually rinse mine two or three times until the rinse water comes out as clear as it went in.

Don't be too vigorous or you will break the magnetic full indicator - not that you really need it as it is pretty obvious when it is full!

I still reckon that to empty once every three days when nearly full is preferable to emptying daily but each to his own.

And please don't forget to hose down the emptying point when you finish - even if it was a bit sh#tty when you arrived.

Archived