Booze&Fags in France

Bill

There was a letter in MMM recently from somebody who had been stopped and fined in France under some new law because he had more than (from memory) 200 cigarettes in his 'van.

This didnt bother me because I dont smoke.

Yesterday I was stopped in a Douane roadblock and they were very interested not only in tobacco but also in how much wine (and other booze) I was carrying. Fortunately I only had a couple of bottles of wine and a few beers, but this raises 2 questions:

1) What is the limit on wine/alcohol? (My French wasn't up to asking them.)

2) What on earth are they trying to achieve with this new law?

The site I am staying on is owned by a Brit who has lived in Fance for 20 years and he hadn't heard of it.

I think its something about how much booze you have IMPORTED into France if you have come through France from somewhere else.

We regularly (once a year) bring back half a tone of wine from France and have never had any problems of the type you describe. We give it all away.

I think Clive is right - it ain't about booze bought in France and then leaving there, it's about booze brought into France from other countries.

This is despite the fact that what the French Douane are doing is totally illegal under EU regulation, and the underpinning treaty of Rome, which states that citizens of EU member states are entitled to move unlimited amounts of goods and services through and between member states, so long as those items are for personal consumption, and they paid the correct duty/taxes on those items at the point of original purchase within the EU.

It's due to that same EU regulation that UK Customs and Excise lost their famous court case a couple of years ago - you might recall it was brought by a couple of Brits who'd had fags and their vehicles confiscated, because they had brought more back into the UK than the arbitrarily-set limits imposed (unlawfully as it turned out) by UK Customs & Excise.

Now there is in fact NO LIMIT on the amount of booze and fags that you can take back into the UK from any other EU member state. There are "Guidelines", but that is all they are, just guidelines.

The UK court has ruled that it is for Customs and Excise to prove, beyond reasonable doubt in a court, thet you are NOT bringing them all in for personal consumption, it ain't any longer for you to prove to them that you are.

Ergo, you CAN now bring in much more into the UK - but with fags for example, you'd be taking the piss a bit if you brought in a million each of 7 different brands and then expected people to believe they were all for your personal consumption (remember, you can't even say you're bringing them back as presents for someone else, they have ALL to be for your OWN personal consumption.)

Froggies are concerned about the amounts of cheapo wine flooding into France from other EU member states, and have therefore started this completely illegal check/confiscate process.

Keep receipts for any booze bought whilst on the continent (to prove the duty was paid) and then if it happens to you, challenge it (politeley!!) by showing that the tax has been paid in the EU.

Get receipts for anything confiscated, and if you fancy a challenge, then get onto a lawyer to take out a case against the Policeman/Customs guys who acted illegally................loadsa fun!!!

Cannot speak from any experience as we never, to date, go that way, but as far as I am aware the main concern with the French authorities is towards travellers whom they suspect have been through, or stayed in, ANDORRA as the state is not part of the E.U. and therefore, E.U. regulations on importation and or puchasing of unlimited, as agreed, amounts of tobacco and alcohol do not apply.

Regards, Mike.

Hi,

Customs approached us at an aire. Very interested in why we were returning to Wales via Calais when we had started from near St Malo. I'm not sure that they believed there was that much difference in the cost.

We frequently see Duanne vans tucked in behind big trucks....with the big truck not far behind a scruffy British van.

We were stopped in the middle of France by the Douanes, a couple of weeks ago. Chap asked if we had "anything to declare," and I said we'd got a bit of wine but not much, then asked him to clarify what he wanted to know. He asked if we had any cigarettes (no) and what countries we'd visited - and in particular, had we been to Luxembourg? Once I made it clear our trip was a purely French tour, he lost interest and sent us on our way.

At Dover one of our own Customs guys flagged me down, but again once I told him we'd only been in France and were now on our way home he waved us through.

Tony

Hi,

Until about 18 months ago I never had any problems when coming back to France from Spain but about this time the French government raised the tax on cigarettes making a big difference between France and Spain and ever since each time I've noticed queues at the border at La Jonquera as the French police check mainly French vehicles. I've never been questioned but the delays are significant, the French rather shot themselves in the foot with this one. It's rather like we Brits going to France for our wine and avoiding British tax only they are rather late in learning the lesson.

Bill Ord

• 2 weeks later...
About three years ago whilst towing a caravan [shame shame!] i was stopped at a mobile Douane check just north of Saumur. They had an english speaker with them [thank goodness] who demanded driving licence & vehicle documents which they held until they had finished searching car & van. They damaged a fixed table during the search and left with a gallic shrug! They seemed to be only interested in fags but had a sniff at the aquaroll and the waste water container [good luck]. It started to PPP down with rain and they left. So perhaps better to travel in inclement weather.

We got stopped by immigration on our way out of the U.K. a month ago. Wanted to see if we had any illegal immigrants on board. Couldn't work out wether they were working for the French or the U.K. The English lady asked us to open the habitation door but declined our invitation as she said she had dirty boots. Just asked if we had anybody tucked away in the bathroom or bed area and if we had any guns or knives. We said no and she waved us on wishing us a good holiday. Could have had loads tucked away for all she knew!!!

Makes you think what the hell they are all doing all day doesn't it.

Mike Parke - 2007-08-19 9:20 AM Cannot speak from any experience as we never, to date, go that way, but as far as I am aware the main concern with the French authorities is towards travellers whom they suspect have been through, or stayed in, ANDORRA as the state is not part of the E.U. and therefore, E.U. regulations on importation and or puchasing of unlimited, as agreed, amounts of tobacco and alcohol do not apply. Regards, Mike.

You are quite right. It is Andorra bought products they are looking for. Met a couple who had saved a fortune on all sorts of products. I wonder if they managed to get them back into the UK?

John S, as an aside, your comment about 'guns & knives' reminds me going thro' Dover couple of years back we were asked whether we had any knives on board by a 'security officer'. When I replies that 'yes of course we did' he was a bit taken aback and seemed lost for words. (perhaps no one had admitted that fact to him before!!). I went on to explain that we needed knives to cut our bread and eat our food when in the m'home so he shrugged his shoulders and waved us through. I think common sense was lacking on his side!

Regards, Mike & Cherry.

Yes the problem is Andorra.

The French Cutoms send "spotters" into the border towns to watch which camping cars are being loaded with cigs/wine.

A subsequent roadside check in France is far from random so please be aware

Mike Parke - 2007-09-04 8:44 PM

John S, as an aside, your comment about 'guns & knives' reminds me going thro' Dover couple of years back we were asked whether we had any knives on board by a 'security officer'. When I replies that 'yes of course we did' he was a bit taken aback and seemed lost for words. (perhaps no one had admitted that fact to him before!!). I went on to explain that we needed knives to cut our bread and eat our food when in the m'home so he shrugged his shoulders and waved us through. I think common sense was lacking on his side!

Regards, Mike & Cherry.

Did exactly the same. "Any knives?" "Yes" we replied " a whole drawer full of 'em" Confused look followed by "Not that kind" well what did they mean then? We have bread knife, carving knife etc. You could do a lot of damage with that lot :-D

I suppose its going off the booze and fags eopic a bit but:

On our 1st ever m/home trip abroad we were stopped by security at Dover and a nice young lady asked if we had any knives etc for self defence. I said is it that bad over there that we will need weapons. - I didnt get a reply just asked to move on to the queue.

I've seen customs operating at a few borders recently, the french customs are getting keen at any border on a route where cheap cigarettes may be getting in to France. Belgian border stopping all french cars late August on the autoroute, rather a shock having to stop in a queue rather than driving across the border at 50 mph.

Italian Customs checking Italian cars arriving from Austria near Livigno.

Yes I know all about free trade but they were doing it,

alan

Your post reminded me of some motorhoming people we knew many years ago who had a Hymer. They had the van from new and never used the toilet. When they came over to Europe they used to fill the fresh water tank of their toilet with Gin, they never got caught. This was in the days of proper Duty Free. Never fancied it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, spotted this a bit late in the day. there is a previous thread about this, cos I asked a similar question after having been stopped by french customs at a petrol station. Some very kind and knowledgable person directed me to a website which set out the allowances for bringing both duty paid and duty free into France. so maybe you could use the search facility to find previous correspondence?

ike

Archived