No radio, satnav or retracting step unless on electric hook up

Hi everyone

We took out motorhome to have a problem with the passenger door central locking looked at. We were told is was fixed and went to pick it up. My husband noticed there was some kind of problem with the radio, sat nav and camera and was assured that it was probably a charge problem as it had been off hook up and as soon as he gave it a good run it would all be okay. He drove it home and  still there was a problem which has totally baffled us. It seems that all these things work when connected to the hook up or the inverter is on.

After having a good try to sort it out we called the RAC to check the battery which was only a year old and told that it was all ok and probably a fuse. The garage did say they had to connect up some wiring during stripping the door down.

We returned it to the garage as it wasn't like that when we took it there and they have not admitted liability but have said they will look at it when they have time in between jobs. Over a week later and they still haven't looked at it and we are looking to sell it now as our future plans have changed and can't consider doing that until this problem is fixed. We have drawn a blank when asking around and wondered if any of you guys could shed any light on it. Any help is much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Keithl said:

Have you checked your leisure battery voltage? It sounds like it is either flat or has a blown fuse. Do all the interior 12 volt lights work?

Keith.

2 hours ago, Madcow said:

Hi Keith, we have lithium leisure batteries showing 100% and the lights are working on 12v.  Thank you.

YES, but please confirm that the lights work when not on EHU, and the inverter is not running.

I agree with Keith's suggestion of a blown main battery fuse.  It seems possible that the inverter is providing power for a habitation battery charger, which it should not do .  This charger could then supply the 12V loads, which are on the load side of the fuse, as distinct from the the battery side of the fuse. Depending on inverter rating, it may well have its own fuse direct from the habitation battery.

It is not unusual for a radio to be powered from the habitation battery in order to avoid draining the starter battery.  Likewise I would expect the step to be powered from the habitation battery.

If I am correct in my hypothesis, which is made from the small amount of date provided, there will be no mains charging of the habitation (lithium) battery.  Charging while driving via a B2B charger could still be possible, if it is connected to the battery via a discrete fuse,

Alan

Unfortunately, the fact that the lights work from battery, and other items do not, does not exactly fit with my hypothesis. It is difficult to suggest more, without details of the 12V habitation installation.

It does seem that the step, radio, and satnav are connected to the mains charger, and the 12V lights are connected to the habitation battery. I can only suggest that the vehicle is inncorrectly wired with 12V dstribution connected to the battery side of a fuse, and the step etc effectively connected to the other (charger) side of the fuse. If this fuse has blown, then replacing it would remove the symptoms.  However this would reinforce my suggestion that there is an incorrect connection.

It is quite possible that the hypothetical error has been present since initial conversion.  (I have a memory of a problem where it transpired that the starter and habitation battery connection were crossed on a new MH.)

Alan

Thank you so much for your input Alan.  We are still waiting to hear if the guy that fixed the door lock problem has managed to rectify it.  He is not taking responsibility and subsequently is not making it a priority to fix it but we will be giving a call tomorrow.  

• Like 1