age of motorhome when buying new

handyman

I got a euramobil 622sb new for 29K (with free awning)

It was the display 06 model for the whole year, and had a few hundred miles on it. New price of a 06 model was £32500 and for a 07 £35500 (i think) Internaly, the van is identical. Some changes to positioning of tanks etc, and the new transit base

So, i have a 06 van with a 07 plate (as it wasnt registered)

In 5 years or so when i sell, do people just look at the plate, or look into it further. I would presume the dealers would.

8-) IMHO? It would STILL be a 2006 Model. Some people may query the chassis/VIN having a different year of Manufacture. A friend has just registered his RV that he bought in 2006. He toured the USA before shipping it back in 2007. When he came to register it DVLA registered it as a 2005. Why? Because the chassis was 2005 and it was manufactured as a 2006 model. He queried it and eventually they registered it as a 2006. 8-)

Handyman,

My experience is that our 05 registered Hymer is an 05 registered Hymer to the vast majority of dealers, when they ask me what I've got.

The fact that it is an 04 on an 05 plate doesn't matter one iota. The question "It may be an 05 but what year's model is it?" has never, ever cropped up.

Besides, unless I was to take it back to Hymer, I really doubt whether most dealers would even know the difference in 5 years time!

Personally, I rarely care that I've got the latest kit. If it did people the previous year, then it's good enough for little old me, the following year.

The only "but" is when there is a significant difference between two different years' specs.

Guest JudgeMental

A word of caution, an ex demo or ex show van is not by definition "new" is it? no matter what the dealer tries to convince you.

even if not registered it is still a previous years model?

if you advertise it as an 07without an explanation, and people turn up and find it is on earlier 2006 chassis(pretty obvious really) you can expect some questions....

if you are happy with the deal you made all well and good *-)

A word of caution, As far as warrenties go, the engine/ chassis could be much older than the conversion.

We had a problem with our Brand New Kontiki (50 miles on the clock) , Went for a warrenty repair, Fiat said that the 2 year old warrenty had expired some months BEFORE we had purchased the motor home.

Caused a lot of stress at the time, Nobodys fault, just our problem !

Rgds

if the motorhome was sold as new, then it doesnt matter about the warranty. the dealer contacts the motorhome maker, who then contacts the base model manufacturer, then the warranty starts.

Its a bit like saying just because comet buy a tv and it sits for 12 months before being sold, that sony isnt liable for a repair. Your warranty starts from when you buy it.

I had the same trouble, but it was sorted out and the vin plate now has a 2 year warranty with it, even though the vin is 2 years old.

Guest JudgeMental

sold as new but it was a demonstrator or old stock so hardly new - the old chassis had been out of production since the previous summer?

this is no different then cars (and I have been stung on this and got my money back) it is the model year that matters and yours is clearly 2006

I don't really understand what you are trying to say...

well, cars are normally pre registered.

The van was unregistered. Put it this way, ford UK contacted the dealer direct, and once ford got a copy of my V5 document, they put the 2 year german warranty on it, from when it was first registered, which was 1st march07.

The van was sold to euramobil start of 05

just to add.......

I got it in writing from the dealer, prior to completion, what all the warranties were. Maybe he chanced his arm there would be nothing wrong with the base for 2 years? Then when something came up, might have payed for a warranty.

I know a lot of car dealers do this with 1 year old fleet cars from cyprus (i think it was cyprus anyway, they only get a 2 years warranty there, and are much cheaper)

all i know is i got a 2 year german warranty from when the van was first registered

Guest JudgeMental
handyman - 2007-08-20 3:18 PM

all i know is i got a 2 year german warranty from when the van was first registered

you have three seperate warranty's. one for Ford Chassis, the other on EuraMobil body. plus a water ingress or tightness warranty as well.

FORD warranty: 2 years if LHD import - 3 years if UK RHD

EuraMobil camper warranty: 3 years

EuraMobil tightness (subject to annual inspection): 6 years

tonyishuk - 2007-08-20 12:32 PM

A word of caution, As far as warrenties go, the engine/ chassis could be much older than the conversion.

We had a problem with our Brand New Kontiki (50 miles on the clock) , Went for a warrenty repair, Fiat said that the 2 year old warrenty had expired some months BEFORE we had purchased the motor home.

Rgds

So, whats happened here then?

Guest JudgeMental
handyman - 2007-08-20 5:12 PM

so, what happened to me then?

As far as I see it: you purchased a van in April 07 which was a model year 2006 and out of production since previous September. it was a demonstrator so used not new -registration date kind of irrelevant as it is obviously not a 2007 model?

I really am having trouble understanding you. what point exactly are you trying to make?

tonyishuk - 2007-08-20 12:32 PM

Rgds

I'm explaining that this is wrong (in my case anyway)...........understand now?

And, yes its a 06 model...............but all warranties start from first registration.

And, if you look at the second hand reviews in MMM, it states the reg year, not the model year. The original post was about if this is relevant in 5 years time when we sell. I dont think it will be.

and, i have never said its a 07 model, only that its a 07 plate

Guest JudgeMental

is yours RHD?

if yes, and sold to you as new (when clearly it was not) then surely both warranties, Ford (chassis) & German (camper body) should be 3 years and not 2?

it will be relevant 5 years down the line if you expect to get the same money as a 2007 van - not otherwise...

Presume you bought from Brownhills/Westcroft *-)

do you not think i knew what i bought or something *-) . I was under know illusion what i bought it, that it was older than the reg (actually chose to wait a further 3 weeks than was necessary, just to get it on a 07 plate). Its as if you think its some kind of pup of a buy or something

Got it at Elite motorhomes.

I think the older the van gets the more irrelevant the reg date v build date becomes *-)

It depends on your meaning of 'new'.

Is it:

new as in a brand new vehicle manufactured this year and no more than a few months old at the most,

or

manufactured last year but not registered or previously owned by anyone so you are the first owner and user of the vehicle, therefore it is bought as unused, ie it is new.

Our Rimor fell into the latter category but it was still new and we accepted that because it wasn't the updated model it had differences to the current model, however it met our needs, it was a good price to acknowledge the difference between the 2 models and we were happy with what we were being asked to pay.

Basing 'how new is your van' purely on the model, however, could prove dangerous, for example:

A new van - eg a brand new model which has just come out now & manufacturered in July 2007 could still be 'new' if the design is not tweaked or changed at all for next year, so say in February 2008 it could still claim to be the current model and exactly the same as one made in January 2008 simply because nothing will differentiate them from each other, short of crawling all over it to find the manufacture dates on the individual the bits and pieces which make up the van it would be difficult to tell at what date it was actually made. Would this consititute a 'new van' or and old current one??????? What if you were given the one made in July 2007 and the next person to buy one got the January 2008 manufactured one, would it really make a big difference? They are the same van, one has just been around a bit longer.

For all those people who think they are buying 'new' Swift, Ace, Bessecar, KonTiki motorhomes, think again ... we see them stacked up in the storage compound for months on end ..... they ain't 'new' in the sense of 'just rolled off the production line, they are just new in that they've been shipped to the dealer from the manufacturer.

Tonyishuk - you need to contact your dealer and get them to sort out your warranty, it should've started when the van was registered, for base vehicle, habitation and water ingress, not when the ruddy thing was made, they're pulling a fast one so you need to tell them so and get what is due to you.

JudgeMental - 2007-08-20 6:46 PM

Presume you bought from Brownhills/Westcroft *-)

By this comment i pressume you think they are con merchants? Somehow i just ignored the big 'this is a 06 model, hence the reduced price' sticker, which was bright yellow and 3 foot by 2 foot *-)

Archived