age of motorhome when buying new

handyman

Handyman

I'm not sure if the Judge has got the wrong end of the gavel here. :-S

To answer your original question, I don't think that the dealers will be that bothered to be honest in 5 years time, so long as it's in good nick, they do look at the year rather than the model, although they may squint a bit funny if it is on the older base type if they remember that there was a base change that year, ie such as the outgoing Ford, compared to the new Ford base. However, in the price you've paid when you bought it you've been accommodated for this slightly lesser value by having a reduced price for buying an 'out of production' model but in 5 years time I don't think that it will make that much of a difference, not in my experience anyway when we were mooching around looking at second hand vans to buy, there was very little difference between the cost of one year's model and the next, it came down more to the equipment levels, engine size, mileage etc.

The Judge has probably got his wig on too tight! (lol)

Mel B - 2007-08-20 8:15 PM

Handyman

I'm not sure if the Judge has got the wrong end of the gavel here. :-S

To answer your original question, I don't think that the dealers will be that bothered to be honest in 5 years time, so long as it's in good nick, they do look at the year rather than the model, although they may squint a bit funny if it is on the older base type if they remember that there was a base change that year, ie such as the outgoing Ford, compared to the new Ford base. However, in the price you've paid when you bought it you've been accommodated for this slightly lesser value by having a reduced price for buying an 'out of production' model but in 5 years time I don't think that it will make that much of a difference, not in my experience anyway when we were mooching around looking at second hand vans to buy, there was very little difference between the cost of one year's model and the next, it came down more to the equipment levels, engine size, mileage etc.

The Judge has probably got his wig on too tight! (lol)

the only problem i can see with resale is that the m/home is not ncap 4, this MAY cause problems in the future if red kens ideas become the norm or the goverment decide to hike the road tax

Hi Mel,

I dont disbeleive what you say about stacked up in the storage yard etc, Ive seen it with cars. But our Ace was exactly 8 weeks old when we took delivery of it, we found the date of manufacture of the base vehicle, the day it was converted, 2 days from conversion to the dealer, we saw it less than twelve hours from when it arrived on the dealers forecourt, two hours later we paid the deposit.

There was 5 miles on the speedo. Now thats what I call new.

David

handyman - 2007-08-20 5:10 PM

tonyishuk - 2007-08-20 12:32 PM

A word of caution, As far as warrenties go, the engine/ chassis could be much older than the conversion.

We had a problem with our Brand New Kontiki (50 miles on the clock) , Went for a warrenty repair, Fiat said that the 2 year old warrenty had expired some months BEFORE we had purchased the motor home.

Caused a lot of stress at the time, Nobodys fault, just our problem !

Rgds

So, whats happened here then?

Apologies must have missed it.

To cut a long story short, Fiat agreed to run the warrenty from the day of purchase from the Dealer.

It took a little bit of arm twisting, but common sense prevaled in the end.

Computer said no, Man at Fiat said yes !

Rgds

Archived