External Water Pump Question

Guest caraprof

Guest caraprof

My motorhome is tucked away in its storage spot at present, along with the instruction book!

Next weekend I'm going on a rally for an organisation that I'm a member of. I'll be staying put for four days and its a temporary site and water may be a fair walk away.

I still have an Aquawaste from my caravanning days, so disposing of grey water is no problem.

What may be a problem is fresh water. I do have an external pump which plugs into a connection in the body, near to the fresh water inlet.

My question is this: Does this pump (which I've never had to use yet) simply supply water to the taps directly, or does it fill the tank?

If it fills the tank, that will be perfect as I can borrow an Aquaroll from my many caravanning friends who'll be on the site, and use it to fill up my tank. They'll be happy to lend me theirs for a few minutes.

However, if it doesn't fill the tank I'm going to have a problem. I don't mind topping up my tank with a largish watering can if the supply is fairly close, but it could be a long way away!

I'm not going to buy an Aquaroll just for one weekend so the worst case scenario is that I'll have to wind in my awning and drive to the water supply every day.

Our Autoquest has a socket (European style version of cigar lighter socket) on the outside wall next to the water tank filler inlet. When we bought the van we also received a lead with a plug for the socket at one end and a submersible pump at the other. We bought a 2 metre length of hose to push-fit onto the submersible pump plus a 20 litre plastic jerrycan and a lightweight trolley - cos 20 litres of water is a bit heavy :-)

Topping up the on-board tank is easy with that equipment.

For emptying the grey waste we use a collapsible bucket. Depending on the amount of water we use it might mean a few walks to the drain/hedgerow but it's good exercise :-)

Graham

caraprof - 2007-08-19 9:42 PMDoes this pump (which I've never had to use yet) simply supply water to the taps directly, or does it fill the tank?

I'm pretty sure it will fill the tank, but all is not lost if it doesn't. I'm guessing a bit here of course, but I would look at the possibility of plugging it into its socket so you get electrical power to the pump. Then pull the water pipe off the pump (or disconnect it from the socket end) and fit another length of pipe so you can reach your water inlet. This way you should be able to use the pump to send water directly into your tank - even if it was meant to go straight to the taps.It should work, and without much of a problem - assuming you can easily disconnect the water pipe. If not, I'd cut it as it won't be much trouble to join it up again later.Hmmmmm - should work if you get that desperate.

Yes as Dave says it will fill your tank, I doubt there will be a switch on it though - when you plug it in it will start working, so don't wander off and leave it running, cause when your water carrier is empty the pump will carry on running.

We had socket on the Elddis to plug into, but on the swift and rapido we use the cab 12v socket, and Charles has fitted a switch in line.

When I travel on my own a full tank will easily last for a full weekend, but when there are two of us, what with showers etc, I go and borrow an aquaroll from friends and use that.

Enjoy your weekend Frank.

Carol

Guest caraprof
Thanks. There's a switch in the 'van that changes from internal to external pump. It's reassuring to know that it will fill my tank. I can borrow an Aquaroll anytime and as it's a temporary site there are no showers so I'll need plenty of water.

caraprof - 2007-08-20 9:05 AM

Thanks. There's a switch in the 'van that changes from internal to external pump. It's reassuring to know that it will fill my tank. I can borrow an Aquaroll anytime and as it's a temporary site there are no showers so I'll need plenty of water.

I would image that you can use either / or . Our Abbey Caravan had that system and you could draw water from either the outside tank or inside tank or fill the inside tank from outside.

Took 10 mins to work out, and was quite useful because it meant that the inner tank did not have to be filled and emptied each time we moved.

Rgds

Frank, when you use the external pump does its output go into the same filler point you use to fill the tank or is it a separate connection? I ask because I might have been mistaken earlier and if it is a separate water connection point then it might just serve direct to your taps. Sorry for the confusion I'm causing but I'm afraid you need to RTFI now mate ;-)

Its the switch inside to select internal or external water pump that makes me wonder, if it was just for filling the on board tank there would be no need to select which pump is being used.

D.

Guest caraprof

Dave, by coincidence I've just been up to my office/warehouse where I store my 'van and couldn't resist trying it out. You were right in your first assumption and I have to say that it's superb.

I took a full bucket of water, plugged the connection into the little electrical outlet in the wall of the 'van and stuck the plastic tube into the inlet for the built-in tank. First of course I'd switched my pump setting on the control panel from internal to external.

As soon as I plugged it in it starting emptying the bucket at a rate of knots. I reckon that it would transfer the contents of a 40ltr Aquaroll into my tank in a couple of minutes.

This is brilliant news! I shall now just borrow an Aquaroll from one of my caravan friends and top up my tank each day.

I don't want to carry an Aquaroll for obvious reasons but there's a lesson to be learned here. If you want to stay on a site for a few days and the water supply is beyond the reach of your hose, get friendly with the nearest caravanner. When you're good mates ask him if you can borrow his Aquaroll for a few minutes. If you return it full a little later he'll be quite pleased I should think.

I don't mind carrying an Aquawaste when I think that I may need one as they're fairly slim and will tuck behind the seat or in the loo, but an Aquaroll is a bit large for me to be lugging around.

Guest caraprof
tp002c784tp002c784tp - 2007-08-20 8:28 PM Hi Frank as you have already proved you can refill with the the external pump, but I found that the two gallon container that I carry, the orifice was not big enough to take the pump so check the size of the aquaroll filler first. Terry

Thanks Terry but there won't be a problem. Touring vans use exactly this type of external pump, which plugs into the wall of the 'van and simply drops into an Aquaroll. As a consequence Aquaroll makes sure that its containers have a wide mouth so that the pump can fit in very easily.

I can see problem though with the average 2 gallon container not having a wide enough mouth.

Archived