Highland midge

Champstar

The highland midge is going great guns at moment. especially around Glencoe.

Stayed on banks of loch leven and was eaten alive in a manner of seconds when trying to help a fellow motorhomer who has a problem...

These beasties are a hardy lot they even attack and it was and had been peeing down all day.

But once the Avon skin so-soft was deployed..no real problems..could still feel them but no bites

"Avon Skin so soft"???

Don't tell me you've found a way of keeping the timorous beasties away?

After years of wearing one of those silly mesh hats... B-)

Seriously though. Does it work? I've never been back since Skye 1997!

avon skin so soft has been selling for years on the strength of recommendations from users of its ability to put off the dreaded midge.

Avon make no such claim and have - apparently changed to product recently -

the old style worked for us tho - mind you - I also like marmite :D :D :D

B-)

It was told to me by a fisherman and then found out the army have used it for training exercises....tried all sorts

I am prone to midge bites and it semms to work for me..has to be the dry oil spray...smells ok...but anything is better than being eaten alive.

Watched people wandering about with the mesh head gear and thought at least I can see properly

Champstar - 2007-08-20 2:22 PM

It was told to me by a fisherman and then found out the army have used it for training exercises....tried all sorts

We went to the Hebrides this year(June) and we went well prepared for the dreaded Midge, 12v Midge'Zapper',Fiamma door Mesh,1 doz Citronella candles,and of course a few bottles of Avon skin so soft, we were told by differant people that it is used by : The SAS, The Forrestry comission,Fish Farm workers (the thought of a troop of burly SAS guys checking out each others Parachute Harness,Camo-Grease AND 'skin so soft' bought a chuckle.. )

On the Hebrides not a midge in sight. But Back in Oban in July

they were waiting in Ambush! the 'Skin so Soft' did the trick though

The wife still got one or two bites, but they seemed to take one bite of me and spit it back out going Yuckkkk !! :D

I really did mean the dreaded midge or mozzie, maybe we were lucky but there really were none around, the weather was not at all warm the whole time, many days were solid mist.

Back home (Gatwick) I've noticed a lack of genuine mosquitoes too. This last two weeks I remarked that fruit flies are scarce which always bother us mainly because they're so damned small.

We were in Canada one time and the midges drew blood through my socks as soon as we got out the van.

Not been to Skye but know the hazards !

I have heared that if one eats garlic the midges, like Dracula, will not bite. But I don't like garlic, so I have not tried it to see if it works. Of course they may just carry a garlic eater back to their lair and wait for it to wear off. My wife is a Scot and they don't seem to bother her. She uses canderal.

Whats a matter with you lot god as a kid i was brought up with midgies nothing wrong witha midgie never bit us as kids ..Used to play running through the Midgies great fun ...then I moved to london I got a big supprise the Midgies down ear are bigger . :D

Archived