Which Other Forums?

BGD

I'm still a newcomer to this Motorhoming lark, and am finding this Forum really helpful - lots of advice, shared knowledge, and good humour too from other members!!

(Insert Big Thankyou to Warners for hosting it for free)

I'm sure that there must be a few other Motorhome forums dotted around the internet that are also useful.

Can anyone with more experience please recommend others that they use - just once caveat: they've gotta be free though, as I'm too poor (tight!) to pay.

Cheers,

Bruce.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it is not a forum but... I'm running a Caravan&Motorhome news blog (Caravanuutiset.com/wpe), but you can leave comments to articles to discuss with other readers. :-D

It is mostly in Finnish, but I have opened up an English section too. Not much content on the English section yet, but it is expanding.. I hope. And my English is bad, but may be I'll learn someday. *-)

I believe you can still 'guest' on at least some of the forums of the Motorhomefacts website mentioned above. This provides the opportunity of free (limited) participation during which you can decide whether or not you want to subscribe.

I normally recommend motorcaravanning newcomers to visit the MHF website because of its huge scope and the large number of people who participate. I'm not a subscriber myself, but I do occasionally look at the Motorhome Models forum and I've still got a bit of live left in my guest account if I feel in the mood to comment.

Derek Uzzell - 2007-08-23 8:10 AM

I believe you can still 'guest' on at least some of the forums of the Motorhomefacts website mentioned above. This provides the opportunity of free (limited) participation during which you can decide whether or not you want to subscribe.

I normally recommend motorcaravanning newcomers to visit the MHF website because of its huge scope and the large number of people who participate. I'm not a subscriber myself, but I do occasionally look at the Motorhome Models forum and I've still got a bit of live left in my guest account if I feel in the mood to comment.

B-) I agree it IS a great Forum and I still visit and help people whenever I can via emails (not a subscriber myself). BUT! The questions was FREE Forums. (lol)

Thanks for all comments/links guys 'n gals.

The motorhomefacts one seemed good at first sight, but only allows people to put up a few posts (5 I think), before they get blocked and have to pay to contribute any more.

Seems rather perverse to me to charge people for contributing to what they refer to as an open forum - but of course it is their forum, it's a commercial website, and I fully accept their right to organise and run it as they feel they wish to.

I personally shan't be paying.

There's one other that I've come across which is spcifically for owners of the Talbot/PeugeotJ5/Citroen C25 chassis-cab based motorhomes (approx 1982 to 1994) that some who have this type of old dog(!) motorhome like me may not have come across. It's very useful for this marque of vehicle, and is a free discussion forum site:

http://forums.preloved.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=forums.showdiscussion&thread_id=13244&utm_source=preloved&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ForumAlert&cs=eb3d6aff

(Not sure if this direct link that I've tried to paste above will work, but if not, you can go to the Preloved Forums site, then click on "Camper Vans", then "Talbot Express":

http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.default/28b3c7f4.html

Cheers,

Bruce.

My favourites are this one and Motorhomefacts - you can guest on the latter but if you want to post more than a few times it is a tenner a year.   Frankly I don't see why people object to that it is a small sum to access the volume that that forum gets and hang it all the bloke who runs it needs to make a crust!  This forum is very good; the other seems to have many more members. Some may fell that this one may be biased because of Warners ownership - not my experience, but who knows? I have found this community has a score or so (probably more) of dedicated enthusiasts ready to help particularly newcomers and these stalwarts pop up on both of the Forums. Dave Newell for instance works for MMM from time to time and also has a column in Practical Motorhome and is a frequent helper on all the MH forums.... overall a very friendly bunch - as for paying you can only decide whether to sport a tenner or not,  for my part I think it is worth it in spades

8-) Yes I agree. FREE initially. But I have information about RV's collected over many years of having to fix and sort out the problems that arise when on the road. I'm not the only one.

I WAS for a time the TOP poster on that Forum. Twice in fact due to the many crashes that the site had. I now cannot help any more without paying for the privilege or they have an email address to which I can contact them. *-)

davoscar - 2007-08-23 2:35 PM

My favourites are this one and Motorhomefacts - you can guest on the latter but if you want to post more than a few times it is a tenner a year.   Frankly I don't see why people object to that it is a small sum to access the volume that that forum gets and hang it all the bloke who runs it needs to make a crust!  This forum is very good; the other seems to have many more members. Some may fell that this one may be biased because of Warners ownership - not my experience, but who knows? I have found this community has a score or so (probably more) of dedicated enthusiasts ready to help particularly newcomers and these stalwarts pop up on both of the Forums. Dave Newell for instance works for MMM from time to time and also has a column in Practical Motorhome and is a frequent helper on all the MH forums.... overall a very friendly bunch - as for paying you can only decide whether to sport a tenner or not,  for my part I think it is worth it in spades

It is probably more the manner in which he (Dave) conned a lot of posters into placing information declaring it would always be free, much the same as his new ventures for caravans and services that he is building, and then imposing the annual charge so stealing the information freely posted that grates with most that refuse pay on principle.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2007-08-24 11:46 AM

/QUOTE]

It is probably more the manner in which he (Dave) conned a lot of posters into placing information declaring it would always be free, much the same as his new ventures for caravans and services that he is building, and then imposing the annual charge so stealing the information freely posted that grates with most that refuse pay on principle.

Bas

I was for a long time a contributer to MHF and left on principal. I still look in at posts but site is a shadow of its former self.

None of them are a patch on MHF, you only have to look at the on line stats to see that! There is nothing to stop you browsing all but one of the forums and that is where most of the knowledge base is. Even if you halved the membership figure it is still has the most members and is the most visited site of its kind on the web. This site is probably the best of the freebies but it is all down to personal preference and what you as an individual want from a site :-S

peedee

UK Campsite has a motorhome section.

It is free, has some good competitions. www.ukcampiste.co.uk

MotorhomeFacts - no way am I paying for a forum where people constantly snipe at each other. It is not that I am mean as I pay to be in ASOC and The Ford Transit Van owners club it is the principle that they demand payment or deny access to most of the site.

Ephotozine have a great site and you can join E2 or not but still get the whole site.

People with small motorhomes may enjoy Small Motorhome forum.

We have been away rallying with them and it was a pleasure to meet them. There was our Duetto, one Bongo and the rest were all Romahomes. Well worth looking into.

peedee - 2007-08-24 7:57 PM

None of them are a patch on MHF, you only have to look at the on line stats to see that! There is nothing to stop you browsing all but one of the forums and that is where most of the knowledge base is. Even if you halved the membership figure it is still has the most members and is the most visited site of its kind on the web. This site is probably the best of the freebies but it is all down to personal preference and what you as an individual want from a site :-S

peedee

erh!!!!!

*-) i think not stats mean nothing (lol) (lol)

s

Archived