What are the 'best buys' in Germany?

david lloyd

Hi everyone

Leaving these shores on the 28th - first stop Dusseldorf Show then down the Rhine and Moselle for a few weeks.

Many countries are known for being a good place to buy certain things like leather goods, jewellery, clothes etc. On any of our trips we are always on the look out for things different or unusual that would make nice Christmas presents and such - our problem this time is that it is our first trip to Germany and we are not sure what (if anything) are the 'best buys' - especially around the Rhine and Moselle areas.

Any tips anyone?

Regards, David

Guest caraprof
johnsandywhite - 2007-08-20 6:08 PM B-) Automatic Satellite systems are cheaper in Germany. ;-)

Yea, but pray that it doesn't develop a fault after you've returned home. Me, I prefer somewhere that I can go back to for service.

Guest caraprof
david lloyd - 2007-08-20 5:35 PM Hi everyone Leaving these shores on the 28th - first stop Dusseldorf Show then down the Rhine and Moselle for a few weeks. Many countries are known for being a good place to buy certain things like leather goods, jewellery, clothes etc. On any of our trips we are always on the look out for things different or unusual that would make nice Christmas presents and such - our problem this time is that it is our first trip to Germany and we are not sure what (if anything) are the 'best buys' - especially around the Rhine and Moselle areas. Any tips anyone? Regards, David

I've been going to Germany, on business mainly, for thirty years and to be honest, I'm finding it difficult to think of anything really exciting.

I love the bockwurst and bratwurst (German sausages) and in the south and the Black Forest they're big on cuckoo clocks but personally I rate those as in the same league as having flying ducks on your wall!

They're also big on Christmas decorations and have shops that are open all year round selling an amazing range of Christmas stuff, if that appeals to you.

Wine, wine and wine.

If you're into your Gewurtztraminer (Umm, umm!) or Reisling (Errr!) you can get some exclusive stuff for at lot less along the Moselle but whilst you're that way make sure you drop into the French side, a bit further South.

Riquewhir has relatively free camping in a beautiful village with Grand Cru wine straight from the producer and excellent restaurants.

15Euros a for a bottle of absolute top notch Gewurtz. The Sporen vinyards NW of the village produce possibly some of the Worlds best...

Colmar is also a very beautiful town.

caraprof - 2007-08-20 6:39 PM
david lloyd - 2007-08-20 5:35 PM Hi everyone Leaving these shores on the 28th - first stop Dusseldorf Show then down the Rhine and Moselle for a few weeks. Many countries are known for being a good place to buy certain things like leather goods, jewellery, clothes etc. On any of our trips we are always on the look out for things different or unusual that would make nice Christmas presents and such - our problem this time is that it is our first trip to Germany and we are not sure what (if anything) are the 'best buys' - especially around the Rhine and Moselle areas. Any tips anyone? Regards, David

I've been going to Germany, on business mainly, for thirty years and to be honest, I'm finding it difficult to think of anything really exciting.

I love the bockwurst and bratwurst (German sausages) and in the south and the Black Forest they're big on cuckoo clocks but personally I rate those as in the same league as having flying ducks on your wall!

They're also big on Christmas decorations and have shops that are open all year round selling an amazing range of Christmas stuff, if that appeals to you.

DavidNote that they sell other types of clocks in the Black Forest too!- Triberg is one center - if you get that far. For Christmas decorations, there is a chain of shops called Kathie Wolfsomething-or-other that sell them all year around - IIRC there is one in Rudesheim (as well as two in Brugges and a big one in Rothenburg - which is a bit far east from your iteinerary) - Rudesheim is a wine town on the Rhine and is well worth a visit by the way - no stellplatz, but we stayed on the car park opposite the police station with no hassle.

David

No doubt you will discover the Moselle White wines - they are generally a little on the sweet side for my taste, but rather nice. It is worth seeking out the drier ones IMHO and bringing back a case or so.

Also, the Moselle valley between Trier and Koblenz seems to have more Stellpltaz per kilometre than anywhere else on Earth as well.

Depends where you're going.

Some items to consider -

Candles

Rock crystal ornaments which are illuminated by tee lights.

Glass and glasses

In Aachen do try the printen, it's a sort of lebkuchen but only available in this one town.

http://www.aachen-online.de/printen/english/history.htm

A previous post mentioned the Xmas decorations shops - https://shop.wohlfahrt.com/

Another item to look at is Porcelain as there are many established manufacturers in Germany, some have factory visits.

Leather goods (!) are also a possibility.

;-)

If you are going down the Mosel call in at Krov where you will be able to buy a bottle of wine with the Krover Nacktarshe label.

The story goes that once upon a time in the distant past the local kids got in to the vintners cellar where they partook of the wares straight from the barrel. When the vintner returned he found them there rather worse for wear. He pulled down their pants and gave a good spanking (not too PC these days). Now wines from the local vinyards can sell their wines with the label depicting the story. n.b. Nacktarshe means bare ar$e.

At least it could be a conversation piece for your Christmas presents.

Archived