Leisure battery

bilbo711

Hi folks I am brand new to this forum, although I have been motor homing for a number of years. My problem is this.

On our last trip abroad I noticed that the warning light for low battery was on, as I had had the battery charging for a couple of days before we left, and the vehicle was on the move for the previous four or five hours I was at a loss to understand why the battery was so low. It transpired that the engine was not charging the battery, and I had to rely on booking into a camp site at least every second night to charge up using the hook up.

Has anyone else had this problem and how do I resolve it? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers

Bill K.

PS. sorry forgot to mention I have a Hymer camp swing 1999 1.9 turbo diesel

Don't know your vehicle,but, charging from the vehicles alternator involves a relay and should involve one or two fuses, I would check all of these with Volt meter. Do you have a wiring Diagram ? it's always easier when you have one. :D

Hi, yes I checked all the fuses I could see and they were fine. the other alarming thing was that the vehicle battery appeared to be running low as well but this never let me down, the readings were low but the battery seemed full of life, unlike the leisure battery which did run flat enough for the fridge to stop working on one occasion.

Bill K.

If the Vehicle battery is not getting a full charge either ? then it could be a loose alternator drive belt or (more expensive) a dodgy alternator, although they tend to just stop working altogether. Check the alternator output with the engine running (take care !). :D

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago when I was in Gallipoli, I took the van into a Fiat agent there expecting them to replace the alternator. When I went back to collect it they showed me the brush holder, one of the brushes was worn right down that it had only been make partial contact with the slip rings. It cost €140 including labour, and has caused no trouble since.

Phil.

Archived