Improved fuel consumption

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
After having the Van AAken smart Box fitted to my Timberland in April I decided to do a fuel consumption check on our recent 4200 mile trip around the Iberian Peninsula. We normally cruise at about 90/100 KPH (usually the van is fully loaded 3300kgs) and with the cruise control set we found that we did not have to change down for the hills which we would have expected to have change down on before the box was fitted. I tried to keep an accurate check when refueling, It's difficult at times when you are trying to fill the tank right to the brim. The 4200 miles on the continent returned the following:- Overall 33.08 MPG Best 36.25 MPG Worse 27.73 MPG On a previous trip to France (1400 mile) before the Smart box was fitted our overall MPG was 30.34. I must point out the smartbox was fitted for convenience rather than fuel economy. We have got to the stage in life now where we don't charge about anymore, well not often anyway, we also practice defensive driving. We have both found that our reactions are not what they used to be. I have been driving world wide since 1952 and Maureen since 1967. We consider the smart box money well spent. We use the van a lot (30,000 miles in two years) mainly on the continent. I spoke to my insurers before the work went ahead and they were quite happy. Safe travelling Don

Guest Clive
I notice that in the latest copy of the Camping and Caravan Club magazine that Van whatsit offer a 10% discount to members. That means that if you are not a member then its best to join and still save twenty quid in your pocket as well as a years membership. Did you pay top dollar Don?

Guest Don Madge
Hi Clive, I paid £423 that included the CC discount. Enjoyed the weekend at Lincoln, of to OZ in four weeks so won't be at York. Regards Don

Guest Don Madge
No, it's too far for us to travel, anyway it's my 21st birthday that weekend. We'll be in trouble, this has nothing to do with improved fuel consumption. Someones sure to moan. Regards to Jan. Don

Archived