Remotely accessed outlets

J9withdogs

I'm sure one of you experts will have a very simple answer to this one!

Both my fresh and grey water tanks have drain taps which are set well under the body of my coachbuilt motorhome, making it awkward to access them.

Worse still, the fresh water tank drain tap has developed a leak (from the tap itself, not the mount) and doesn't appear to be easily replaced.

We pondered this conundrum over a bevvy or three at Malvern, and Mel B's clever husband suggested a removable bung to cure the drip.

An even more practical solution would be to be able to extend the outlets from the present taps, and position them in a more accessible position nearer the edge of the body.

The taps have rigid plastic pipes and the only thing I can think of is hosepipe connectors with jubilee clips - but where to then? Obviously the taps would have to be in a permanently open state to make it work and would create pressure.

Over to you guys (lol)

You could fit a hose onto the tap and leave it open having a secndary tap on the other end but the hose will hang down quite a bit at the tank mounted tap. Very likely to get caught up and ripped off I'd say. From your photos I'd say the best course of action would be to drop the tank off and see if the tap can be replaced with a pipe stud to take the hose with the tap on the outer end. The taps are usually screwed into a threaded section of the tank although sometimes they are held in place by a plastic nut inside.

D.

From the photographs it looks as if you could saw off the body of the taps, leaving short lenght of pipe to which you could attach a length of thick, flexible plastic pipe. To the other end of this you could fit a tap - of the "straight through" variety rather than the right angle type you currently have. This end of the pipe could be held in place by a pipe clip fastened to the skirt of the 'van in a convenient positon. You could then unclip it when you wanted to use it. If you make it a bit longer than the minimum you will be able to pull it out to dump more easily.

Brian

just done the same thing on my autotrail i fitted a 3mtr length of flexible pipe with a tap on the end so now i dont have to be so exact when going onto the waste dump. the excess just coils above the spare wheel and pulls out when required, it works well

Archived