Mercedes-Benz based motorhome

betsy

Hello!

Can anybody out there help me? I am thinking of buying another motorhome and have seen an advert for a 2002 Mercedes-Benz based Hymer. The Engine capacity is given as 2.2 - is this correct and if so would it be powerful enough??

Additionally the model number is given as a Starliner 640. I can find no reference to this in the various Hymer websites. Can anybody offer advice on this one.

Lastly, a pal of mine (who has a M-B based Autotrail) tells me that if I am buying a Mercedes based motorhome I must look for one with a manual gearbox as (he says) the sprintshift versions give trouble and the fully automatic ones are thirsty.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Betsy

Try having a look at:

It's a Hymer Starline 640 (not Starliner), on the right under 'Model Range' click on the relevant link.

http://www.hymeruk.com/html/campstarline640.htm

If you go to Yahoo and search for Hymer Starline 640 you'll find that lots come up for you to have a ponder at.

One thing I'm not sure of though, is it a C class (ie Luton) or A class van?

I must admit though that 2.2 seems a bit low powered for either.

I run a Kia Sedona which has the Merc Sprinter 2.9 turbo diesel engine and manual box. Reliability is NOT a concern with this setup.

There's hundreds of Sprintshift Mercs around that get thrashed all over the country by a variety of drivers who are non owners and are only interested in Friday afternoons.

I dont see many with problems. They're a well established breed of vehicle but 2.2 seems a little short on power if you are one who loads the M/H to its maximum.

My view is that I don't like a manual G/box. Why spend time twiddling with a stick in the floor when that part of the brain can be used for better vehicle control.

The 2.2 litre engine fitted to a 2002 Hymer Starline was significantly less sophisticated than the present Mercedes 4-cylinder unit and lacked power compared to the similar-sized latest motor. It was normally specified as the 'base motor' on motorcaravans to keep the price down, but the much better choice for larger vehicles like Starline 640 was the 2.7 litre 5-cylinder engine. Personally, I think you'll find the motorhome you are considering buying sluggish with this motor when in loaded state. Of course that depends on what you are accustomed to!

The Sprintshift gearbox was generally criticised by the motorhome press for its jerky gearchange quality, but owners seemed not to share this view. The only problem issue I'm aware of involved an inability to select gears if the cable operating-mechanism became displaced. The reported cure was simply to use cable-ties to prevent this happening.

hi betsy,

i started with the 2.9 starline 680 and it is quite powerful and fairly economic, i then bought an s 740 which has a 416 chassis and 156bhp with sprintshift. the sprintshift is great - effortless auto with the economy of a 6 speed manual until you outdrag cars which tends to lower consumption a little (lol)

by the way the 680 is for sale if you are interested :->

cheers

simon

dont bother had a sprinter van and had more hasstle with it and also spoke to other owners who have had similar problems the major one was start error displayed on the lcd display mercedes had it for 3 weeks and charged me £750 pounds for the repait 2 weeks latter it did the same thing this time they tryed charging me £250 THERE WASENT A THIRD TIME

type mercedes sprinter start error into google and look hardley the service you want for a motorhome :-(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived