fiat ducato 2.2td engine problem

newportshrops

I have a Chausson Welcome 50 Motorhome its 2004 and has done 39000 miles .A lot for a motorhome but not for a commercial vehicle. I have had a problem occuring when Ive been on the motorway. When Ive used the motorway I travel at 60mph 2000 revs occasionally upping the speed to overtake lorries. the first time it happened I had been coming up the M 20 then M 25 then just as I arrived on the M 1 we ended up in a queue travelling very slowly. When we started to crawl along blue smoke appeared from the exhaust, feathering the engine the smoke disapeared as the speed increased everything was fine and no more smoke was seen for the rest of the journey. A slight loss of power was experienced engine temp was normal no warning lights came on. A few weeks later the same thing happened again,this time I travelled M 6 M 54 as I came on to the A 41 I came up behind a tractor slowed right down started to crawl and blue smoke blipped the throttle accelerated past the tractor everthing was fine no problems. The vehicle is fine on A and B roads around town acceleration is O.K no smoke of any kind at any other time. Have not been on motorway since so dont know if problem is still there.

AS ANYNONE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR HAVE ANY IDEAS.

Thanks newportshrops

Not very mechanically minded but could be burning a bit of oil and the excess oil is getting kicked out as smoke at low speeds because it doesn't have the higher revs to burn in off. Try running the engine and then go and put a cloth momentarily over the exhaust and see if you get sooty deposits, if so it's probably just the excess fuel being burnt off, if it smells oily then its excess oil. Could be that the injectors are not doing their job correctly, or unburnt fuel is getting sent through, that could be the cause.

When did you last have it serviced?

When did you last have it MOTed?

Just ideas, may be totally wrong! 8-)

This may seem a stupid question as it is your van but is it a Fiat 2.2td? I have a 2004 Burstner on a Fiat Ducato and it is a 2.3 JTD, actually an Iveco motor I believe and although we have only 20k miles on it no problems yet (he says grabbing a large piece of wood).

had a similar fault on a citroen relay 2 litre hdi it was a filter from the crankcase breather systen back to the air filter it was full of thick carbon and was blocking the flow after a while it must have filled up of oil (from hot vapour condensing) then sucked it back into the air intake resulting in blue smoke hope this helps

Archived