Removing Sikaflex adhesive

sueb

We attached a j rail to our kon tiki with sikaflex adhesive for our drive away awning. Due to a problem caused by strong wind and a stray leafy branch (don't ask) we have had to remove the rail. Any suggestions as to how to remove the sikaflex? Will thinners damage the skin of the motorhome? Is scraping it away with a blade a sensible option? We want to replace the j rail so it needs to be cleaned up first. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

The name "Sikaflex" applies to a large range of polyurethane adhesives produced by SIKA, so you really need to check which one you actually used. If (as seems likely) it was Sikaflex-512 Caravan, then the only way to remove the it once the adhesive has cured is 'mechanically' - meaning it will need to cut, scraped or ground off. Other Sikaflex variants will almost certainly require the same removal treatment.

(If you visit www.sika.co.uk you can obtain downloads for the Sikaflex range that include advice on removal. I looked at a few (including 512) and they all said mechanical removal was the only means to remove cured adhesive.)

Derek is spot on, as usual. The only way to remove cured sikaflex adhesive is by mechanical scraping. A fine sharp blade will get most of it off but care obviously needs to be taken to avoid scratching the motorhome skin. Finally the last traces can often be rubbed off with a finger but it will wear away your finger tips as quickly as the sikaflex. :-(

D.

Must admit that when I removed the roof lights from our ex-Rapido to replace them with clear ones it took longer to remove the 'gunk' than to do the rest of the job! I used a plastic spatula with a 'sharp' edge - an old credit card with a sharpened edge would be just as good. After that I used the 'fingertip rubbing' method (nearly wore my fingerprints off!) although you can try to do it with rubber gloves on to remove the worst of it first and then use your bare fingers later on to remove the remains. You could also try a washing up sponge but make sure it's the one for non-stick pans (usually has a white scrubby bit instead of the green). I then gave it a wipe over with some white spirit and cleaned it immediately with some warm slightly soapy water to remove the spirit (make sure you 'spot test' using white spirit somewhere that it won't be seen before doing the whole thing). Our Rapido roof was GRP. It's elbow grease mainly though.

A GOOGLE-search on "sikaflex removal" pulled up the following:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=175631&f=136&h=0

This doesn't really add anything to what's already been said on this thread, but it's interesting to note the huge number of postings Ben the Incorrigible has racked up. 12296 in 61 months equates to over 6 postings per day, every day for more than 5 years - there's dedication for you!

Many thanks to you all for that advise, looks as if I am in for a busy weekend and a special thanks to "Mel B" for the credit card tip, I am going to try that using the wifes credit card as it seems to be a hell of a lot sharper than mine.

John D.

Don't know about the removal of Silkaflex but the below might help.

For a smoth as a babies bum finish on applying Silkaflex and to remove it when its tacky use "LOCTITE 7070".

Use will all thank me when use all try it..

I keep it on board all the time plus the tube of Silkaflex of course..

Easy Peeesy..

Gordon@gordonaldson.com

SIKA markets "SIKA-Remover 208". According to the brochure, this product is intended to remove UNCURED Sikaflex from glass, metal, brushes and tools.

According to my motorhome dealer pal, a downside of Sikaflex 512 is that, once the cartridge is opened, the adhesive inside hardens quite quickly. He uses something else, but I can't recall what. I don't think it was a Henkel-Loctite product, though.

I was once told that another Wizard Wheeze with these types of adhesive to obtain a super-smooth final finish is to rub the surface of the adhesive carefully after application with a cut piece of potato. Best to experiment with this technique, I think, before going for it in a big way, as I've never actually tried it. (And, yes, I do know about rubbing a cut potato on glass as a demister!)

Hi,

I don't know if it works with SikaFlex, But when using silicon the best thing i have found for cleaning it up while its still tacky is/are Baby Wipes

hope this helps

I think someone could put together a long list of the things that babywipes clean

Thank you for all the sugestions for removing Sikaflex.

We have just got back from a week in the beautiful CC CL on Beachy Head, E Sussex armed with a sharpened (on a stone) credit card and a bottle of Sticky Stuff remover (bought from Lakeland Ltd at very low cost) used sparingly on a cloth (fingertips and prints still intact! It worked a treat and it only took Colin a couple of hours to do - I was busy with the view. Job done.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies :-D

Archived