Spare Wheel

doonhamer

On the basis that it's normally dark and wet when you need to change a puncture I thought it would be a good idea to drop the spare tyre to see how it worked before setting off on an extended tour of Europe with my new Bolero. I'm now pleased that I have good breakdown cover because it took me an hour lying on the ground just to drop, remove and replace the spare. This is a real classic of bad design.

My advise to Bolero owners, don't have a puncture or buy good breakdown cover.

You might find the "Ultraseal" thread interesting, on Hints and Tips. I have installed it in my tyres for exactly the reason you are concerned.

I would have a wheel carrier made (like scotchjock) but where to put it as I have a bike carrier already and there's no more room. Anyone got any brilliant (and not too rude) ideas?

Hi,

Yes it does work and you can see where the Ultraseal has sealed. I have only used it in my motorcycle tyres, you can't carry spares on a bike(!). To date I have had one puncture that was fairly large and it sealed it fine, it was a permanant repair until the tyre was changed for normal wear, fairly regular on a large 1200cc touring bike, also I have replaced it into the new tyre that was fitted. Contrary to some reports there was no problem from the tyre fitter when changing it as the remaining solution was like a water covering on the wheel that just needed a wipe round with a cloth. I did raise the question with him and he stated that Ultraseal was fine it is just the ones that are pumped in to seal a leak and reinflate the tyre that he will not touch as the contents are like a sticky goo that is nigh impossible to remove satisfactorily.

Bas

Archived