whats your stupid moments in the van

handyman

i parked up on the ramps and got out the drivers seat to go through the back. My lace caught round the handbrake whilst my shoe, at the same time, pushed the button. (lol)

Rolled off the ramps, fortunately missing everything, and hadnt put the awing out yet (lol)

Looked out and all 'the starers' had missed it

Rayjsj - 2007-08-24 4:14 PM

Whilst doing the 'Morning chores' I decided to empty the cassette loo,

WITHOUT informing 'The management' ....... LOUD SCREAM as the cassette slid out... Blue air and silence for the rest of the day !!! :$

classic (lol)

Drove off without taking the aerial down and DIDN'T remember in time. Went into Le Clerc at Boulogne, checked the height barrier, ok, no problems. Then a sickening noise, neither of us realised straight away what it was, then it dawned on us. Aerial at a funny angle, unable to move it up or down of course, so OH had to get up on the roof and spent the next hour with a hacksaw sawing the mast off.

Surprised though at the cost of a new mast, we though it would be something ridiculous, but no, £16.95.

Now we are both paranoid about the aerial to such an extent that we'll probably forget something else, like not winding up the rear steadies!

Ina.

Hi Terry

Brilliant idea, thanks, will do that from now on. The simple ideas are the best, why didn't I think of that?

I have made a BIG notice for on the dash in front of the steering wheel as well, with things like aerial, steadies, gas etc written on it, in an attempt to stop anything like that from happening again. As soon as we park up, the notice is put there and that is useful too.

Regards,

Ina.

Guest JudgeMental
Hymer584 - 2007-08-25 12:41 PM

Hi Terry

Brilliant idea, thanks, will do that from now on. The simple ideas are the best, why didn't I think of that?

I have made a BIG notice for on the dash in front of the steering wheel as well, with things like aerial, steadies, gas etc written on it, in an attempt to stop anything like that from happening again. As soon as we park up, the notice is put there and that is useful too.

Regards,

Ina.

me to, now all I have to do is remember to put it up... another notice maybe :-D

Put the winding handle in front over pedals ,red string on steering wheel to remind me to take in electric cable, but can never remember to switch of booster TV box in wardrobe.

Once had a caravan drove off site in Wales with front leg down and ploughed the grass up never noticed it down till I hit the tarmac .never went back to the site ,did a runner when I saw the grass,

With a motor home you have to do a walk round and you still miss something

dshague - 2007-08-25 8:59 PM

Put the winding handle in front over pedals ,red string on steering wheel to remind me to take in electric cable, but can never remember to switch of booster TV box in wardrobe.

We don't have TV in the van, but how about cutting the "masthead" from your TV listing magazine & sticking it over your speedo??

Sadly have had to resort to on site, leaving site lists, cos I was always forgeting something. Roof light window open (thank you the camper that flagged me down), heater cover off or on, cupoard door catch not fastened, fridge not switched from 12v to main, gas not off, chopping board not secured.

I think that was only one trip before the lists, when I didn't have to stop to do something or other that I had forgotten to do - sad eh.

dshague - 2007-08-25 8:59 PM

Once had a caravan drove off site in Wales with front leg down and ploughed the grass up never noticed it down till I hit the tarmac .never went back to the site ,did a runner when I saw the grass,

With a motor home you have to do a walk round and you still miss something

did the same by leaving the handbrake on, ground wet, two big furrows, 2yrs ago following a friend with a folding caravan into a pay age booth, he went for the car kiosk forgetting he had two bikes on his car roof,much flashing of lights and beeping were to no avail, though still drivable the car was written off when we got home, the bikes are still in france

Wife thought 'old' Plastic step looking a bit 'Tatty', looked at prices of both electric and manual 'proper fitted' steps Cheapest about £80 plus my time fitting it.... bought another Stronger fiamma plastic step for £5.99,

1 week later left it in a layby somewhere in mid wales, on way up to Scotland so, called into Manchester for Another £5.99 fiamma plastic step,

2 weeks later left THAT ONE in a lovely carpark/overnight stop on North Uist in the Hebrides(not noticed til on the ferry to Harris, 'cause it probably would have still been there to pick up,if we could have gone back, the Hebrides are like that !) So, £80 doesn't seem that expensive after all .

With MY memory I'd be losing about 20 steps a year !! Anybody found 2 Grey fiamma plastic steps (both nearly new ???) :$

Last year whilst in Portugal near Cape St Vincent i pulled into a parking area facing the sea, it was on a slight downhill slope, i was wearing shorts and decided to get out for a walk around and as i slid out of the seat the leg of my shorts hooked on the Fiat Ducatos handbrake !!!!!!! I was hanging by my shorts and couldnt get off and hoping to god the handbrake ddnt decide to slip off as there was a drop of about 100ft.

Luckily i ewisted round and manged to climb back up but the handbrake was bent slightly. Funny to some but it gave me a fright

In the past I have variously:

1.driven off with the rear steadies still down :$

2.Left site having forgotten to switch off the gas and switch the fridge over to 12 Volt, didn't discover this for three days by which time the fridge had been emptied and door propped open to ventilate. Poor little fridge trying to cool the world. :$

3. driven off leaving a plastic step behind but did realise and went back for it. ;-)

4. reversed the motorhome out of my workshop with the hookup lead still plugged in and pulled a socket off the wall, pretty blue flashes all round.

:$

Now I use a typed and laminated A4 list of things to check before moving away and another A4 laminated sheet with DISCONNECT HOOKUP printed on it in BIG letters. Whenever I plug in this sign goes in front of the dash.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-08-27 6:51 PM

4. reversed the motorhome out of my workshop with the hookup lead still plugged in and pulled a socket off the wall, pretty blue flashes all round.

:$

D.

You got off lightly Dave.

I did almost the same, except I park the M/H on the front drive. The cable got wrapped round the Memsahib's window box and pulled it off the wall >:-( >:-( >:-( a far more heinous crime!

Now when I plug in the mains (driver's side which is convenient) I hang the cable over the wing mirror so I can't open the door without tripping over it. (lol)

Rayjsj - 2007-08-26 11:09 PM

Wife thought 'old' Plastic step looking a bit 'Tatty', looked at prices of both electric and manual 'proper fitted' steps Cheapest about £80 plus my time fitting it.... bought another Stronger fiamma plastic step for £5.99,

1 week later left it in a layby somewhere in mid wales, on way up to Scotland so, called into Manchester for Another £5.99 fiamma plastic step,

2 weeks later left THAT ONE in a lovely carpark/overnight stop on North Uist in the Hebrides(not noticed til on the ferry to Harris, 'cause it probably would have still been there to pick up,if we could have gone back, the Hebrides are like that !) So, £80 doesn't seem that expensive after all .

With MY memory I'd be losing about 20 steps a year !! Anybody found 2 Grey fiamma plastic steps (both nearly new ???) :$

Gave up using loose steps - left too many of them around Cumbria.

Tony

davenewell@home - 2007-08-27 6:51 PM

..... having forgotten to switch off the gas and switch the fridge over to 12 Volt, didn't discover this for three days by which time the fridge had been emptied and door propped open to ventilate. Poor little fridge trying to cool the world.

D.

Not in the 'van, but sort of related...

.. I was meeting my wife in Edinburgh after she had been doing a course up there. I locked up the house and drove up with caravan for a week's holiday. On return, we found the upright freezer door ajar, nicely sealed with a one inch thick ice seal. That freezer didn't last much longer before giving up the ghost.

Some years ago on first trip since winter I was prepping the van. I stuck hose into fresh water filler and then went about doing other things as it would take some time to fill. Kept coming back and was scratching head at why level didn't seem to be increasing until neighbour pointed out that I appeared to have some sort of a leak from the underside of the van - Forgot to re-insert rubber bung into water tank (lol)

Hubby drove off one day and left me behind at the pitch on a campsite, he only realised when he saw me in his mirror standing there with a dog under my arm. I'd gone to get rid of the rubbish and he'd forgotten us! Well, that's his story anyway ...... :D

Archived