I need some sticky stuff - advice please!

Mel B

The rubber 'rain guard' strip has come adrift from the top corner of one of our garage locker doors, it's there I think to stop water running down the van frm entering the garage. It's a rubbery thing and looks like it was secured with a black foam/rubberish black strip. It's only for a section of about 6 inches as it goes round the top corner. I've tried a bit of good double sided tape as a temporary measure but the sun (yes, I did say sun!) has made it come unstuck.

Advice please.

Mel B

Hi Mel

I'd try some contact adhesive I think. Spread a thin layer on the strip, press it very carefully into place on the van, then remove it at once. This will leave enough glue on the van to mark exactly where it is needed. Then quickly (it dries fast) spread an even layer on the marked area on the van and do the same with the strip. Follow the instructions and wait until it feels almost dry to the touch, and be careful when you offer it up as you won't get a second chance. Press it home firmly, then go back in a few minutes and give it another good pressing to make sure it is well stuck.

The main reasons I'd suggest contact adhesive are that it will fix the strip very firmly and permanently, but if you do make a pig's ear of it the solvent used to make it is petroleum based. Any excess glue will clean off quite easily with a drop of petrol before it sets too hard, and even when quite cured it can be softened and eventually removed by gently rubbing with a petrol rag. Petrol won't hurt your paint job - if it did every petrol driven car on the road would have a strip of bare metal below the filler cap.

Cheers

P.S. Just noticed Terry's post, and I don't want to undermine his advice but . . . . Sikaflex is brilliant stuff, but it's very difficult to remove once it has cured - so beware if you decide to use it.

It's also very expensive, has a short shelf-life, and comes in a number of variations for many different purposes. If you spend £7 or so on a tube you will probably throw 99% of it away.

There's a thread here somewhere from someone desperate to get Sikaflex off, and the agreed response is that you can't without cutting or scraping it with a sharp knife.

Hi Mel,

From your description of 'black foamy stuff' it sounds to me like it is fixed with standard automotive trim fixing strip. This is available from any motor vehicle refinishers in various widths, also I seem to remember seeing it in Halfords though at a premium price.

With regard to its long term sticking properties I would suggest it was not cleaned properly when origionally fitted as if you think of the number of vehicles on the road mostly fitted with trims in this manner, you don't see many coming off, its normally that they have to be cut off for some repair reason and they get damaged in the process because the stick on so well.

Bas

I would not recommend "Contact adhesive" It may react with the paint finish on your vehicle.

Would suggest a visit to your local body shop (vehicle not you) and ask their advice. A range of adhesives are used in the vehicle repair industry these days. Failing that use Sikaflex. Strips of masking tape can be used to hold the strip in position until the adhesive cures.

Boat yards may also be a source of a suitable adhesive. They stick rubber non slip decking in place.

Valid point John. Thanks for adding that.

It would have been more sensible of me to suggest that Mel should try a little somewhere underneath the van where it won't show if it does react.

I don't think it will react however (though caution clearly makes sense) since as far as I'm aware it is only a sort of rubber dissolved in a petroleum based solvent.

Two cock-ups pointed out within the hour - I must be getting way past my sell-by date.

I know the feeling and it happens to me every day, so your not alone.

Have spent 35 years using glues and adhesives when training people for the high quality end of the furniture industry.

Bostic in Southampton used to be good to me and supplied samples of adhesive for all sorts of things. Phone the problem and they would come up with a solution. eg fixing rubber or plastic to a solid base where the adhesive had to cope with different expansion/contraction rates.

Happy days!

Archived