satallite...

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Nor again I hear you cry! but I have searched, and could still do with advice...

thinking I may have to get a dish after all as totally fed up with lack of decent radio reception while on hol's (world service post) and as laptop broke at start of hol's I was left technologically bereft.*-)

As I will only keep this van for a few years before going for a low roof model (when kids stop coming) and as I already have roof air con and concerned regards extra weight on roof. To start with I want a portable system. Not keen on basic suitcase type, I want a 66cm dish for use in southern Europe? on a tripod.

Obviously any box I buy can be used in a few years when I get a roof system so as I am not a sky subscriber any recommendations for boxes that take sky free to air card for C4 C5?

Idea’s as too where I can get a dish and tripod for a reasonable price gratefully received plus any other advice....

Judge,

I think a 65 cm dish would be too small for southern Europe - If you want UK radio, I think that broadcasts on the Astra 2D beam which is aimed at UK and the strength dimishes the further south and east you go. I have not tried further south than the south of France, and was fine with an 85cm dish, but was told it would get a bit iffy further south and east

Guest JudgeMental
johnsandywhite - 2007-08-28 2:38 PM

B-) Just south of Barcelona is the limit with a 65cm dish.

blimey, will have to book bigger pitches :-D

and be prepared for people laughing at me when they walk past *-)

So southern Italy - will that be OK with an 88cm dish?

I have a big garage ;-)

JudgeMental - 2007-08-28 2:48 PM

johnsandywhite - 2007-08-28 2:38 PM

B-) Just south of Barcelona is the limit with a 65cm dish.

blimey, will have to book bigger pitches :-D

and be prepared for people laughing at me when they walk past *-)

So southern Italy - will that be OK with an 88cm dish?

I have a big garage ;-)

look at the lidl box it has all the free to air channels, except c4, plus radio,the channel sorting is rubbish but you get lots of german channels for when the kids have gone to bed, you will need an 85cm dish south of the french border,

Guest JudgeMental

OK then an 85cm dish

"digitalsolutions" on ebay where recommended as a cheap supplier of kit - but I can't find them?

like everything else attach the name "motorhome" and the price magically doubles...

any one have the pace 12v box or a dreambox?

Thanks Syd, satellite for caravans is a very informative site.

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2007-08-28 10:00 PM

Judge ,

We have a pace javelin

I know you are a mysterious and intoxicating women, But your above statement regards a pace javlin means absolutely nothing to me without an explanation:-D

will Google it now... ;-)

Thanks for the recommendation Michele!

The Pace Javelin (or sometimes called the Pace 1000) is the only "Sky" box which was made specifically for 12v. use. It is now out of production but there are still quite a few available either new or recon. It is not a bad piece of kit but only has one scart out unlike "normal" boxes.

Other "Sky" boxes running on 12v have had an inverter fitted after manufacture.

If you are considering buying an automatic sat system in a few years time when you change 'vans, why not consider the Oyster now. It has a plate which is bonded to the roof and then the system is bolted to that. When it comes to a 'van change merely undo the 4 nuts and pull out the plug to the wiring loom and remove it to be fixed to your new 'van. All it costs is £80 for the replacement loom and plate for the new one.

When it comes to receiving radio in southern parts on a sat system the folks above are right in that most of the BBC is on the northern (Astra 2D) transponders however radio 2 and 4 are broadcast on the southern transponders and can be received as far away as the Tenerife. Whatever tho' I would still recommend at least an 85cm dish to get the best chance of reception the further south you go.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks to Bills generous offer (will try and get up to him at weekend) looks like I am getting there...

did a quick search for pace javalin and they are an eye watering £190 *-)

will I be better of using an inverter and getting a 230v box?

I will need a compass and sat finder and lead as well

as I do not have sky, will I be better of with a free to air box. can you use sky £20 card with any of these to get C5 (my favorite cop shows) :-D

Well.... cant listen or watch BBC news all the time can I.......

I will become one of those eerie blue faced peoples that i have often watched on sites :-D

If you want to do it a bit cheaper you could do as I did once. Put an advert in the local paper saying sky box wanted. (some people have 'em stored away from when they went on to Sky plus or digital terestrial). I got one for £20.

Once you have a box attach it to a tv and turn it on (even if you havent got it on a dish yet) then press "services on the remote control and select system details from the menu. Make a note of the unit i.d number use and give Sky a ring and ask for a free to view card - they cost £25 - they will ask the box i.d and for payment dets (credit card etc). They will send you a card and you will then be off and running. Get a small inverter to power it in the 'van and a 85 + cm dish with a good LNB and a sat finder. If you want to know more about the best way to use the dish etc send me a pm and I will e.mail you a piece I did for motorhometoday.

Normal Free to Air boxes can not take a sky card nor can any other boxes that have a CAM (conditional access management) slot - They can only be used in a sky box. It is worth noting that Ch4 and 5 have contracts to be encrypted with Sky to 2008 after which they may go FTA which will mean that you will be able to get 'em with any FTA box.

JudgeMental

I have a Maxview Sat-Finder meter complete wih instructions and also with a dish elevation map. I also have two spare cable ends and some Sky cable that you are welcome to FOC. Tell me the length of cable that you will need. Any cheap compass will do

This always sounds harder to do than it really is once you have done it.

If these are any good o you just PM your details and I will gladly send then down

Frankkia - 2007-08-30 12:34 AM

Normal Free to Air boxes can not take a sky card nor can any other boxes that have a CAM (conditional access management) slot - They can only be used in a sky box. It is worth noting that Ch4 and 5 have contracts to be encrypted with Sky to 2008 after which they may go FTA which will mean that you will be able to get 'em with any FTA box.

B-) Except for the Dreambox.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks to the kindness of Bill and Syd and advice from Bernie regards sourcing box etc.... ( Box from my sister) I potentially now have a complete system for the princely sum of £10 (for tripod).

once I get it set up and play with it in the garden I will undoubtedly be back with more questions *-)

astra 1 while in UK astra 2 in europe - is that right?

Arab sat has been getting good reviews for decent US programs - how on earth do you go about finding these things :-D

If you are setting up in your garden, then the following link might be of help

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/

That should show a page which will show you which direction to point dish for Astra 2(or any other you might want) using google earth, I pinpointed one of the dishes in my garden and it showed Astra 2 directly in line with one of my chimney's, and thats exactly where my Astra2 dish points.

Archived