Polarity Tester/Reverser

snobbyafghan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michele - 2007-09-04 1:57 PM

:D Essex girl wouldn't you just expect that :D NO if we plug ours in then there is no problems it lights a light in the cupboard and does it for you ?

I will shut up now told you probably totally off course :D

Sorry Michele but I think you're mistaken there, it doesn't automatically correct it. The red light on the control unit is indicating a reversed polarity situation but its up to you to do something about it, or not as you see fit.

D.

Oh dear trust me I once again. I have to say thats his dept when he starts to explain somehow I can't keep my mind form thinking less boring things :D I knew I had took some of it in along the way well the part about the light anyway not much else.

I think I will stay away from all this technical stuff far to complicated for the likes of little old me. :$

• 3 weeks later...
Old Git - 2007-09-03 12:21 PM

If rolling around drunk is what you would like fair maiden, you have only to ask :-D :-D

Have a good trip, or if you have really gone - hope you HAD a good trip.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Have been and gone and come back - thanks for the avatar, didn't thank you before - can only put my rudeness down to :$ err simple rudeness, :$ brought about perhaps by running around like an idiot trying to unravel a host of domestic snarl-ups in time to get away - with a consequential lack of time to chill out with red wine n dark chocolate. have returned replete with finest Dutch Apple Pie - unfortunately domestic snarl ups still here - oh well - where's the corkscrew :-> :-> and bring on the green n blacks

B-)

An easy way to tell if you have reverse polarity is to check the fridge light. If you have reverse polarity the light will come on when the door is shut!!

Having got that out of my system - If you look at www.kropla.com/electric you will see all the different plug types in the world. The ones you are most likely to come across are type E - France, type F Germany and of course Type G - Uk. My mains lead has a Type F plug and socket towards one end and this allows me to quickly reverse the polarity, should it be required. At both ends I have the conventional Blue three pinCC type plug and socket with an adaptor for the French sites that have the old style sockets. This keeps things manageable without having boxes of plugs and sockets lying around.

VoH

It's not unknown where in France they have installed the standard CEE bluse 3 pin sockets that even these have wrong polarity........

We take a 'twisted' connection lead for the old French style ones, plus a 'twisted' one for the CEE ones, and have a 'cheapie' W4 (I think) polarity checker.Our previous motorhome was French, and all sockets were unswitched, our present one German, and likewise no switched sockets!

Ralph - 2007-09-25 3:27 PM

Vixters other half - 2007-09-25 3:23 PM

An easy way to tell if you have reverse polarity is to check the fridge light. If you have reverse polarity the light will come on when the door is shut!!

:-D :-D :-D I like it!

but, if I climb in to check the door won't shut - so how do I know if the light is on cos of reverse polarity or cos my leg is in the way.

back on topic, easiest way is def to reverse a short length with the blue plug, saves a lot of hassle, especially at sites that like to lock the electric box once you've plugged in! It does only seem to be France or Southern

[ie French speaking] Belgium - aka Wallonia I think

B-)

Have just got back from the French trip which inspired me to ask this question in the first place. Stayed on 5 sites and all except one had reversed polarity. Thanks to the answers I got here, I just ignored it and everything worked fine.

This was a first experience of any sort of caravanning, in a new motorhome (I think I'll call it a camping-car now in tribute to the wonderful French attitude to the things) and it was a totally great holiday. Great sites, great people and great weather. I'm a confirmed vanner already.

Doug

Archived